Swapping an M7 capsule for a K49 in my U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
I have perhaps a stupid question but I have an M7 capsule that's cracked and shot and I went out and bought a K49 vintage capsule that's in good shape. However when I actually look at it the K49 is much thicker and larger overall than the M7. Is it possible to swap just these capsules without swapping the head? I don't see stems or other parts readily available.

It can be but I wanted a capsule with that authentic U47 sound and don't believe any of the re-skins can quite do that yet. I currently have a rebuilt thiersch in a new head on my U47 but wanted to restore the original M7 (and original head) so bought a vintage K49 and wanted to swap it out. It's likely a nominal difference but I am drawn to having a true vintage sound if possible.

It can be but I wanted a capsule with that authentic U47 sound and don't believe any of the re-skins can quite do that yet. I currently have a rebuilt thiersch in a new head on my U47 but wanted to restore the original M7 (and original head) so bought a vintage K49 and wanted to swap it out. It's likely a nominal difference but I am drawn to having a true vintage sound if possible.
I will share my personal opinion and of course you will have yours after you replace the M7 with the K49. If you prefer the "smooth vintage U47 high mids" you will not be happy with K49. It sounds a bit more "in face". If I'm you I will proceed with the M7 reskin. But I would be careful who to pick for the task.

I wouldn't too hung up on "authentic U47" sound either; even when new, the mic's sound changed quite a bit over the course of production.

Not to hijack but can anyone recommend someone to reskin a M7 (Beesneez) in the USA? I'd hate to ship something to Germany if it can be done well closer to home.

Back