table top fader unit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several of the new line mixers and "DAW summing units" include pre-wired connections for external faders, in place of the existing rotary pots. In my situation, it is only for the main stereo output, not all of the individual input channels. So I'm looking at either a single stereo fader or a pair of mono faders. As I already mentioned, the mixer has a connection for easy attachment of the faders, and the P&G faders come pre-wired on the other end; so the signal connection is not a problem. But I'm lost when it comes to a simple design for a table top box to mount this fader(s). Has anyone ever built anything like this and can you post a photo or some suggestions?

I'm almost considering the purchase of an old fader module from a Telefunken-type console that used fully enclosed modular faders. Although the module box is too deep for what I'm trying to do, I could at least steal the slotted plate for the fader button to ride through. Then I would just have to mount that plate into a box of some sort. But I'm hoping that one of you have a better solution, and one that does not require that I have a metal fabrication shop in my basement. (hell, I don't even have a basement......)

Thanks

Hey Steve,

I think the Mackie "Remote Fader" was mentioned somewhere in another post.

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/archive/cr1604_addons_arch.pdf

It might be a solution for you. It's a small chassis with a 100mm stereo fader. If you don't like the quality of the fader that's included, you could always switch-it-out with something better. I like the Panasonic faders because of the stereo tracking specifications.

Problem... I'm sure that it's out-of-production, but I bet Mackie could locate one for you.

We used to recommend these Remote Faders for our XTRAMIX rack mixer customers that wanted to "ride" the stereo level without having a 6' rack towering over them.

If your DAW summing mixer has a low-Z output for the fader interface, there's no reason you can't use a 15-25' (well shielded) cable. We have touring guys that remote a stereo foot pedal from the stage to the XTRAMIX inserts that's over 75'.

Regards,

Vince Poulos
www.speck.com

THANKS, Vince!

Not only does the remote fader look like it will work, but now I finally understand what a MIXERMIXER is! (I've heard people mention that damn thing for years, and I never had a clue what they were talking about, or I thought that they were stuttering.)

But seriously, the remote fader box is exactly what I need, and I'll even get over my self-imposed fear of anything with a Mackie logo on it. (I'm sure that I can strip and repaint it so that no one will ever know.......and you guy promise not to tell, right?) The PDF file link you attached even included dimensions that seem to indicate that both P&G 3000 and 8000 series faders *should* fit.

Now if I can just find one of these suckers........

Back