TAC Magnum Balancing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey all!

I'm looking to balance the remaining connections on our Magnum that are unbalanced, which would be the Buss/Direct Outs and the 8 Sends.  I've been looking at the JLM Tardigrade to do that, so we'd need 4 of those to do this.

I'm wondering what the difference between LME49720 vs LM4562 would be in the real world?  Price is about $10 bucks more for the LME49720, but if it's not going to make a difference then I don't see why we'd bother.

I had considered taking the ELCO out of the console and making an external box to keep these in along with a PSU, tuck it under the console...but now I'm wondering if maybe we should just build them into the patchbay and rewire that one buss out/direct out ELCO altogether?  I'm sure the patchbay could use a rewiring anyway...

Thanks for any help!!
Sig

Is "active" balancing absolutely necessary? Impedance balancing not good enough?

https://sound-au.com/articles/balanced-2.htm#s1

Siegfried Meier said:
I'm wondering what the difference between LME49720 vs LM4562 would be in the real world? 

I thought they were identical?

I vaguely recall some having certain issues with the 4562 in the past but am not sure if that was specific to that op amp or both...

Hopefully someone knows the deal...

Hows about re-using a few surplus high quality 600 ohm line matching transformers ,Haufe's might do the trick very nicely :-{<

Tubetec said:
Hows about re-using a few surplus high quality 600 ohm line matching transformers ,Haufe's might do the trick very nicely :-{<

32 of them?  I don't think those will be more cost effective, and they likely won't be as simple and compact as these boards either...

I'm wondering what the difference between LME49720 vs LM4562 would be in the real world? Price is about $10 bucks more for the LME49720, but if it's not going to make a difference then I don't see why we'd bother.
They are the exact same chip. This was confirmed by someone at TI. There are threads here.

The knock on these IC’s are that they are inconsistent with some having excessive popcorn noise. I think the other knock is that they can be susceptible to RF/EMI.

Back