TAC Magnum - OMEG Pot Clean/Lubrication

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey all! We need to do some work to the pots and switches of our TAC Magnum, so I purchased some EML 200F to do the job as it cleans and lubricates at the same time. However, I don't think I can really take apart every single pot on every channel, and the OMEG's have small indentations on the back...assuming these are for spraying in some cleaner/lube, but is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!
Sig

There are two possible reasons for scratchy pots. One is dirt on the traces. This needs to be adressed by cleaning them inside. To find out if that´s the problem turn them many times. The wiper will move the dirt away, at least partially. If this helps, then the problem is dirt. The other possible reason is leaky coupling caps. They let DC current pass which will cause noise when turning the pots. No cleaner/lubricant will cure that. In that case you will have to replace the electrolytics.

In my experience it´s more likely that the electrolytics are the problem. I´ve had many instances of desks with scratchy pots which could be brought back to normal by recapping them. The good thing about that is that the desk will sound better with new caps.

Many liquid cleaners have the problem that there are solvents inside. These will dry and harden over time making everything worse in the long run. Hardening solvents will become sticky which means dirt will stick on the wiper. That´s exactly what you don´t want. You have a short time cure but some time later your pots are ruined.

Anyway I´ve had good and lasting results with a combination of DeOxit cleaners and lubricant in pots, when dirt was the problem. It was a treatment with D5 and afterwards F100.

Last edited:
There are two possible reasons for scratchy pots. One is dirt on the traces. This needs to be adressed by cleaning them inside. To find out if that´s the problem turn them many times. The wiper will move the dirt away, at least partially. If this helps, then the problem is dirt. The other possible reason is leaky coupling caps. They let DC current pass which will cause noise when turning the pots. No cleaner/lubricant will cure that. In that case you will have to replace the electrolytics.

In my experience it´s more likely that the electrolytics are the problem. I´ve had many instances of desks with scratchy pots which could be brought back to normal by recapping them. The good thing about that is that the desk will sound better with new caps.

Many liquid cleaners have the problem that there are solvents inside. These will dry and harden over time making everything worse in the long run. Hardening solvents will become sticky which means dirt will stick on the wiper. That´s exactly what you don´t want. You have a short time cure but some time later your pots are ruined.

Anyway I´ve had good and lasting results with a combination of DeOxit cleaners and lubricant in pots, when dirt was the problem. It was a treatment with D5 and afterwards F100.
Console has been fully recapped, and it’s definitely dirt on the pots and switches. EML 200F is some of the best stuff, recommended to me by ex-Neve tech Geoff Tanner, as it’s both a contact cleaner as well as a lubricant. He says he is able to restore some of the most impossible to acquire switches and pots with this product,m, so I’m sure it’ll be great. My main concern is mostly on how to get it into the OMEG pots without cracking them open. Can I spray it into those tiny indented slits?

I like EML for cleaning contacts, and yes, Neves are greenish inside from the stuff.
For pots specifically I prefer Deoxit Fader F5. In tiny amounts applied with a SC or IM needle/syringe if you can get. A needle will get the correct amount to the correct spot.
Don’t just spray EML, or anything in pots because you will remove the shaft lube, what’s left, and layer it all inside the pot.
Just a little squirt towards the track and exercise, test one module until you get a good program then repeat.
Mike

Latest posts

Back