Tascam 488 Repairs Speed Fluctuation Problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tubejay

Does anyone on here have experience repairing Tascam tape machines?  I have two tascam 488's that had no transport controls.  I replaced the belts on both of them, and now the transports work, but the tape speed fluctuates over time.  It could be a bad motor.  Could it be something more simple?  I don't know of a source for motors either, if that's the issue.  Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem, or what it might be, outside of a bad motor?  I'm not very experienced with tape machine repair.

That thing has varispeed, for starters you need make sure that the pitch control pot is clean and that the motor control circuit has clean and stable power to it.

I hope you have some valuable archive material to transfer.  ::)

The Tascams all use a servo capstan motor. I have several in Tascam and Yamaha 8 track cassette machines. These servos do seem to be problem prone. Unexpected speed variation is the most common fault. I think that sometimes it can be the capstan bearing lubrication causing a heavy  and perhaps variable load on the servo that causes the problem. I had temporary success by loosening the bearing nut but it was short lived. I have never really go to the bottom of this but I have several machines I could get working again if a fix is found.

It is a long time since I looked but a web search for Tascam capstan servo problems might turn uo something.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks guys.  Word from Tascam obviously is that the motor should be replaced, but finding one....good luck. 

Latest posts

Back