TC-500 // Versatile Tracking Compressor for 500 Series.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

** NO MORE KITS AVAILABLE **

Hi Guys,

here's my latest project ;)

TC-500-pic1.jpg

TC-500-pic2.jpg

Let's start with a bit of history. Some of my friends and colleagues are dialogue and foley recording engineers. They have been asking for a transparent compressor that could adapt easily to the incoming signal and help control wide dynamic range recordings.

The first prototype I made was a VCA compressor with RMS detection. It worked beautifully on vocal, but the foley guys needed something to tame the peak as well... So I added a second stage of VCA compression with peak detection. This is not a limiter, but more a peak attenuator. The ratio is fixed at 2:1, Attack & Release are also fixed. You simply turn the knob to the desired amount of gain reduction.

Here’s a small diagram showing the configuration:
TC-500-Map.jpg

The goal here was to make a versatile compressor that is easy to use and gives great results fast. I’m really happy how it turned out :D
It’s already in the recording chain of two local studios and it saved numerous dialogue takes from clipping the converters.

I should have a small demo video ready next week (various instruments & vocal tracks)

As usual, if there’s enough interest I could make a small batch of kits available on the white market.

Cheers
Gabriel

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Demo Video:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Very cool, great work!

If kits were made available, I'd be interested for sure!  Is this VPR compatible, 51x...?  EDIT: Well, the title says 500 series, so I guess I asked a dumb question.  ;D

funny....i was about to ask you if you could design a compressor to complete my chambord audio channel script...

Count me in for 1-2! Price dependent...

p.s. please try to include the jensen xformer

Looks amazing.....

One thing you could try is to put the Peak Limiter before the compressor. I have found in the past that this "helps" the Compressor stage. It seems to allow the Compressor to work more easily and just compress the signal and not have to deal with extreme transients.

I used to have 2 dbx 165s and the first just did some slight Limiting, trimming the peaks off, and the second 165 was the main Compressor. Sounded absolutely gorgeous. The 165 internally is set up as compressor first and then limiter.

It even works in the digital domain as well. In my Protools template I have all my channels set up in this way, Limiter first then Compressor. I find the Compressor sounds more natural and nicer.

Just got bad news from Mouser today. They won't have the That's 4305 IC in stock before the first week of December. I wanted to include them in the kits, but I decided to readjust the price and they will be part of the Mouser Cart instead.
Thanks

elskardio said:
Hi Guys,

I recorded a quick demo video this weekend.

https://youtu.be/mQYfupKPcRQ

Cheers
Gabriel

Very cool!  I’m excited for this one.

This will be my first 500-series build (just got my VPR rack from CAPI), so I’m looking forward to breaking it in!

Hi Guys,

I'm waiting on the knobs shipment to arrive this week. Your kits should ship next week ;)

Also good news... Mouser has the That 4305 in stock  :D

I'm working on the build guide this week and I will send you the BOM this weekend.

Cheers

Back