TC Electronic problems...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drpat

So, I've got some TC Electronic devices that won't power up (an M2000 and a first generation Finalizer). The power button on the front is lit very dimmly on both units, and went out at the same time... weird... They've been like this for a few months, and every once in a while they'll power up. My M5000 is fine, everything else in the place is cool too, just these two units.

Before I open them up, I just thought that I would ask the forum if anybody else has encountered the same problem with the TC stuff. I can do without the finalizer, but I really miss my custom presets in the M2000.

Sounds like the classic problem with the TC 1u-range switched-mode powersupplies. Solution is to get a new supply - they shouldn't be expensive. I've never managed to get the supplies back in working condition.

Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob,

That's what I suspected, but I just didn't want to face the truth. I've got a lot of SMPS's laying in a pile from E-mu devices too...

[quote author="gyraf"]Sounds like the classic problem with the TC 1u-range switched-mode powersupplies. Solution is to get a new supply - they shouldn't be expensive. I've never managed to get the supplies back in working condition.[/quote]

I once managed to fix a power supply in a TC M-One that was constantly blowing fuses. Some diodes in the power supply went bad, replacing them fixed the problem.
A replacement supply from TC would have cost around 75,- EUR by that time, if I remember correctly.

Olaf

[quote author="gyraf"]Sounds like the classic problem with the TC 1u-range switched-mode powersupplies. Solution is to get a new supply - they shouldn't be expensive. I've never managed to get the supplies back in working condition.

Jakob E.[/quote]

Naah Jakob..Do you really mean that the Tc has powersupply problems..*GGG* I just can´t imagine that by a mile :shock: ;-).

btw Jakob is right..it sound soo much like it *S*

Kind regards

Peter

P.S btw Jakob how is everthing at Feedback? Do you still have engineer Thomas Keller from TC out there working for ya´? If you do tell him I said hello *S*

The simple fix for non-starting switchers is to check all the small value eletrolytics (not the reservoirs). You will probably find one (or more) that is a very low value. It has "cooked out".

all smps are repairable! :green:

likely some kind of problem with the feedback circuit between the output of the smps and the PWM controller keeping the unit in shutdown mode.

reflow ALL solder joints around the transformers and recap all the small lytic caps around the 431s if not changing the 431s themselves.

I have a couple of M5000's. When I got them one was DOA, I Knew it was the power supply but didn't want to mess with it. I took it to a local tech, they told me $750 to fix!!!!! Jeez. So I called TC, sent it back to them and got a new supply put in for something like $225 or so. My other TC stuff M2000, and D-Two delay have been hanging in there with no problems as has the other M5000 I have for sale right now. I was told by TC that the power supplys are problematic, at least on the M5000's.

[quote author="gyraf"]Peter,

Thomas says hi...

Remember to stop by our studio when you're in Aarhus - rumours are that you'll be around here soon.?

Jakob E.[/quote]

Hi Jakob,

yep..we´re working on a date next week..have the coffee machine up and running hot like the tubes *S* and I´ll be knocking on your door before you know it *S*

see you soon Jakob..(hi Thomas)..*GGG*

Kind regards

Peter

[quote author="Twist Turner"]My other TC stuff M2000, and D-Two delay have been hanging in there with no problems as has the other M5000 I have for sale right now.[/quote]

Hey Twist

What configuration is the M5000 you are selling (converters/DSP) and how much do you want for it?

chrissugar

Thanks to everybody for the replys. While I usually prefer to send things off for repair, I guess it will be worth it to poke around when I have a spare hour or two.

My M5000 is hanging in there, but I wish I would have bought the Mastering upgrade while it was still available. It's a shame that TC no longer has the codes to sell for these things...

if you want I could take a look at the TC power supplies that are dead. I could post my findings in one of the metas so that anybody who ends up with another dead TC smps can repair it.

With so many claims of dead TC smps there has to be a common failure component.

[quote author="Svart"]if you want I could take a look at the TC power supplies that are dead. I could post my findings in one of the metas so that anybody who ends up with another dead TC smps can repair it.

With so many claims of dead TC smps there has to be a common failure component.[/quote]

Yes - that would be a great thing. I'm trying to get the TC-people (they are a local company here) to tell me what component is causing the problem..

Jakob E.

[quote author="Svart"]if you want I could take a look at the TC power supplies that are dead.[/quote]

I tried replacing the small electros and reflowing around the transformers... no luck...

Where do I send them?

[quote author="Svart"]if you want I could take a look at the TC power supplies that are dead.[/quote]

SVART,

The M2000 supply is on it's way to you :cool:

ok i got it the other day and have started on it. I'll post more info in the next day or so when I can really get some time in on it.

:thumb:

Cool, I threw the original caps in there, but I lost one of them. There were two of each, so the lost one is the same value as the one that doesn't have a mate. If that makes any sense...

BTW: The ones I put in were slightly higher values too.

first results in:

No output.

input OV suppression ok
fuse ok
choke ok
rectifier ok
bootstrap startup circuit ok
FET ok
HV transformer ok
output rectifiers ok
inductors ok
caps ok

Now we get to the controller circuit which is on a daughterboard. There is no output from PWM IC, I suspect the feedback circuit is not functioning properly.

I also found that there is a power BJT(2sa1012y) on the output of the +5v that is controlled by the PWM circuit as well, I need to investigate what it's purpose is.

It's suprising to see that this PSU is not a cheapo unit, they use some expensive parts like a common mode choke on the input, ceramic rectifiers on the output of the HV tranny and decent Chemi-Con caps.

I am focusing on the controller now, it doesn't even try to start PWM functions so the FET is never stimulated and the unit never starts.

More later.

:thumb:

Back