Tech needed to build a pair of power amps for Event ASP8 studio monitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if you are still interested in having the EVENT Power Amplifiers built, but that is something that I could do for you!!!

While reading further in the thread, I came across this comment:

one BIG thing i want to report though, there is a way to dramatically improve the sound quality of the ASP8's. i sort of found out by accident. i was working on a project in 2007 for a band, and something crapped out in one of the monitor amplifiers. i later figured out that the heat that built up during extended sessions caused the circuit cards to flex, and popped some solder joints loose on some surface-mount components. luckily i was able to temporarily fix it to finish the project.

when i got some spare time, i contacted event and they were nice enough to send schematics so i could service the amp cards. after a few dead ends, i just decided to build brand new amps for them. so i did, using the same circuit as the originals (even the original transformers), but with some significant component upgrades where possible. i spent less than $200.00 on parts for a PAIR of new amps, including chasseys, and just sealed up the back of the asp8 cabinet and added speaker connectors.

they have been new beasts ever since. the music coming through the asp8's now seems to extend back an additional 10-15 feet further, and i haven't found a monitor i like better yet (even tried some martin hd-1's the other day...they didn't come close). the upgraded power amps on the asp8's make the stock ones sound veiled, rubbery, and strained (hehe in that order). the new amps make them sound alive, totally natural, unconstrained, and really just kinda right at any volume, but without being overly flattering. plus the imaging is just superb now! :eek:)

even though it's the same circuit, i think it's a simple case of better ingredients = better result. my conclusion is, the woofer and tweeter are SUPER DUPER; sadly, the built-in stock amplifiers just make them sound rather dull and lifeless.

if i had all this to do over again, knowing what i know now, i would either a) buy the ASP8's and IMMEDIATELY build new power amps for them, or b) buy the passive versions (PSP8), rebuild the crossover, and use a good amp on them. either way, i'm very happy with the asp8's. the only monitors i would consider upgrading to now are way out of my present budget.

So.....it seems as though re-building the original amplifier DOES make a big difference in their sound!!!

I would need to specify and source all of the components before providing you with any kind of quote and since even doing that would take a fair amount of my time, I would need to charge you a nominal fee just for doing that alone. Are you still into it???

Besides my recording work, I also work as a "Senior Electronics Mechanical Packaging & PCB Designer" assisting defense contractors, medical electronics firms and video electronics companies in designing and developing their new products. My work consists of me performing both the "electronic mechanical designs" --- AND --- all of the "Printed Circuit Board" designs of these new products. Therefore, I could provide you with a pair of nicely designed audio amplifiers. I looked at the EVENT "User Manual" that has the schematics and the Parts List in it, so at least that is a good start.

You can reach me at:    midnight_blue_designs AT yah00 D0t c0m

to let me know if you wish to continue with this or not, OK???

Regards,

Jerry B. Williams
Senior Electronics Mechanical Packaging & PCB Designer
Midnight Blue Designs

Audio Engineer / Producer
Midnight Blue Studios

/

Attachments

• JBW-Designed_4U_Rack-Chassis-Project.pdf
    788.4 KB · Views: 6
Back