Technical Books thread for the Bulletin area

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

I think it would be great to have a list of technical papers and books to be added to the Bulletin area just under the Technical Documents. I have seen our more knowledgable members post their recommendations for books on various subject matters throughout the forum, but I think it would be helpful to have them listed in one place. It would have to be treated like the Technical Documents section regarding posting. Entries would ONLY consist of title, author, link (if applicable), and a one to three line description of information one can expect to find within the book or paper's pages. No drawn out conversations regarding each title listed. If need be there can be threads that categorize the books under specific subject matter like preamps, tube circuits, microphones, etc, just as it is done in the Technical Documents section regarding manufacturers.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks, we are always looking for improvements.

Rather than yet another new forum, how about a sticky post similar to the meta -meta sticky post in the lab... It might make sense to have these in some (not all) of the project specific sub forums. I can image different references for microphones, than amps, etc.

Chew on this and let us know what you think,

JR

I'm not the most the web savvy person to figure out the best way to handle this task. I just envisioned a section that would list books and papers that would categorized in regards to the focus of the material presented. For example, Doug Self's book regarding summing/console circuits was recommended in a thread regarding summing mixer cross talk, but I had to do some digging to remember where that information was. So whatever is the easiest way to consolidate recommended reading material and have it separated into their respective topics is what I am proposing.

Thanks!

Paul

There is already a thread in the META with book recommendations, its outdated but we could use that one instead of making a duplicate.

There is already a thread in the META with book recommendations, its outdated but we could use that one instead of making a duplicate.
Um that is the sticky post in the LAB I mentioned... It was abandoned because it was being manually managed.

I am thinking something like that but lower maintenance, without the clutter of new sub forum(s).

Recall that this forum had moderators not technical editors.

JR

Might consider a list of good philosophy and self improvement books in the brewery, maybe even persuasion techniques, so we can know when we are being played.

How could this go wrong. :rolleyes:

JR

Might consider a list of good philosophy and self improvement books in the brewery, maybe even persuasion techniques, so we can know when we are being played.

How could this go wrong. :rolleyes:

JR
Ohhhhh boy, get ready for a left vs right, atheist vs religious, woke vs conservative debate if you do that

OK it looks like using a sticky post at the top of sundry sub-forums could be a convenient way to to hold reference materials.

It looks like this will not waste much forum bandwidth and be convenient. Over the next few weeks I will start a few obvious ones.

Lets see how this plays out.

JR

I've been meaning to read this for a long time and I'm also very curious about his new book - Noise
I have moved my response here, to not clutter up the reference lists.

"fast and slow thinking" explains a lot of modern perception. The premise is that our fast thinking brain accepts some objective truth as a given, then makes a logical leap without slow thinking inspection to accept some loosely related if-then. The classic example of this is that "if" the globe is warming, and objective truth "then" this must be an existential crisis, without any thoughtful inspection and debate.

There are more examples but this is the most powerful.

===

Thanks for the heads up about "noise", I'll wait until it's available in paperback...

[update- I just read a review of "noise" wrt stock picking and he addresses the variability of our own personal decision making. Perhaps we need to take a vote among ourselves. :unsure: I have read anecdotes about judges giving harsher sentences before lunch, etc. Apparently we don't always agree with ourselves.:rolleyes:

JR

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back