Testing the Shure 545S Series 2 Mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck1110

Hello there. I recently acquired a vintage Shure 545S Series 2 ("Pistol Grip") Mic, which needs some repair.
I'm getting a weak signal from it, but I haven't yet opened the cylinder to check out the solder connections. Where the black plastic cylinder should unscrew from the metal cylinder, it's pretty tight, so I'm being careful not to force it. In fact, the top grill does not spin freely like other Unidyne III's, so I'm wondering if it may have been repaired/glued at one time.

It has the 4 conductor Amphenol type connector, and the 'off/on' switch has popped out. It appears that everything is still there. the copper contacts that go on the back of the switch assembly are there, as is the cover plate. There is the 6 conductor (DPDT) switch as you can see part of through the hole in the switch cover plate. Is there a diagram of that switch that will show me if I need more parts?

Also, there is the spring which contains the wires going from the mic, down into the pistol grip section, joining on top of the 4 pin connector.
How is that spring connected to the mic and then the connector? I'm wanting to check the solder connections on top of the 4 pin connector, but the spring is keeping me from doing that.
Finally, the cover to the back of the mic is missing. Are these still available somewhere or more easily home made?

Thanks for any leads

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 8
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 8
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 8
  • d.jpg