The Home of the future

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could live in a Jelly bean.  However if I had 80k to spend on a tiny house, it would be used, and have wheels.  :)

Where are the wheels?

That is more than 2x what I paid for my 3 bedroom house with over an acre of land (years ago).

Nice sentiment but I could imagine that getting crowded even with two people.

Indeed smaller is the recent trend in new home building for entry level.

JR

I spent a month on a sail boat in the winter a couple of years ago.  It was a catamaran 40’ ft .  Nice but older Prost I believe.  It had solar panels . Windmill, batteries and was very nice. My friend paid $65K for the used 30 year old boat.  Many people down in Marathon FL were retired  and living on their boats in the harbor.  Ever since that I’ve thought about living space and solar as the energy only method in a single couple home.  It has to be a smaller space to make current solar  energy methods work without out a giant investment.  Yes this house is a small trailer size house but possible answer/direction visualization for those with green in 12 years thinking.  It’s a single person home.  Take the 1/3 acre lots of the 50s and put 6 to 15 of these things on it (assuming zoning laws are challenged) and you have real solar powered homes.  You could use a garden shed as well.  It’s not much different in size.  These things look like the Jettison’s cartoon.  Young people who want a green solar CC solution , I believe are asking for something like this with mass transit and electric bike as the transportation method.  Just an opinion.    I love the remote locations they are shown in.  How would these jellybean house look clustered together? 

I am optimistic that technology can continue to make us more energy efficient. Some improvements (like better thermal insulation) are not very expensive. Large scale adoption with reduce the cost of even high technology.

Within the last year I upgraded to a SOTA high efficiency heat pump. I had already replaced my crude resistance heat with a large window unit (heat pump) but even compared to that, the new higher efficiency unit delivered an electric bill using only 60% of the electricity from same period one year ago... Still not likely to break even in my lifetime, but house is notably more comfortable while using less energy. A win-win (ignoring purchase price).

JR

PS: There were a bunch of micro homes built by FEMA after hurricane Katrina to supplant/replace trailers for temporary housing . Perhaps search "Katrina Cottages" for more info.

I worked with a company that had mushroom cloned pre-made modular frames. It was kind of like Legos you just snapped in together 20 foot by 10 foot; do the first floor ceiling/flooring then install the next modular 10 foot by 20 foot pieces.
Apparently the walls had a 60r insulation value (heat/cold loss) whereas most houses have anywhere from 15-30r.
Mushrooms are also non toxic and quite fireproof; or when they do go up in flames it's not as toxic as normal houses.
I believe it ran the customer 30k to frame 2 stories.
I then went on to build a straw bale house. Fully solar and quite beautiful. Pardon the hyperbole but you could warm the house with a log of wood and it stayed cool in the summer. As it was solar powered and could be totally off the grid if one chose, one could also give back excess electricity for a lower electric bill. Much lower electric bill actually.
My dad and brother had owned and lived on seperate boats in NYC. It cut living costs by a ton.  They would have given their left kidneys for a catamaran or trimaran

Back