The Pass H2 Harmonic Generator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cpsmusic said:
Hi Folks,

Came across this recently:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/the-pass-h2-harmonic-generator/

Seems pretty simple! Anyone here tried one of these?

Cheers,

Chris
"Remember to reverse the phase on the speaker connections to the amplifier. You don't have to though—it would also give you a chance to hear the positive phase 2nd"
Ludicrous! Again it demonstrates that growing a beard and saying stupidities in a loud voice attracts a number of believers...

This thing indeed delivers harmonics, and yes, mainly 2nd-order.
Many people think distortion is a nice thing, I can hear that in many records, call that grit, urgency, lift, tension, whatever, I hear it as an annoying screech in the background, particularly in the presence of different signals, which results in intermodulation distortion.
This type of effect should be limited to solo monodic tracks (not piano!), where intermod is not too likely.
Electric guitar is a different issue; the heavily distorted sound of "clean" guitar (typically about 10% distortion) is an acquired taste.

abbey road d enfer said:
"Remember to reverse the phase on the speaker connections to the amplifier. You don't have to though—it would also give you a chance to hear the positive phase 2nd"
Ludicrous! Again it demonstrates that growing a beard and saying stupidities in a loud voice attracts a number of believers...

Have you looked at any of Nelson Pass's designs?? Some of them are pretty novel.

iampoor1 said:
Have you looked at any of Nelson Pass's designs?? Some of them are pretty novel.
Sure I have; never been impressed.
His stock-in-trade is H2, wants to put it everywhere.
If he was so good, he would be designing swith-mode amps; that's where the real challenge is.

Back