The Perfect Front Panel Service

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What timing this thread is! I posted a few days ago about getting a case for my project I wish to make available to DIY'ers.
I had no response on that thread. I need the 19" case as well as a front panel. I am hoping to sell SMD pre assembled PCB's as I just can not seem to get a case together. I tried Meface but the could not load a .stepfile.
If anyone can give me some direction on how to get a case sorted for this project I would be really greatful.

Last edited:
I am in contact now with Holt Broadcast now, seems very promising apart from I just want to try a single unit as a tester.

What timing this thread is! I posted a few days ago about getting a case for my project I wish to make available to DIY'ers.
I had no response on that thread. I need the 19" case as well as a front panel. I am hoping to sell SMD pre assembled PCB's as I just can not seem to get a case together. I tried Meface but the could not load a .stepfile.
If anyone can give me some direction on how to get a case sorted for this project I would be really greatful.

Modushop in Italy has a range of cases and also does front panels:

Modushop by Hi-Fi 2000

P.S. Are you based in the UK??

Edit: regarding Meface, you do not really need a step file for a front panel. A regular dxf will do. Have you tried using front panel designer from Schaeffer?

Schaeffer AG Frontplatten Designer

Cheers

Ian

regarding Meface, you do not really need a step file for a front panel. A regular dxf will do. Have you tried using front panel designer from Schaeffer?
With the Meface experiment I could download their own CAD version of the case and add my kicad 3d export the line it all up but I was unsure of the internal clearances due to its design. The cases on the Holt Braodcast looked like they had better clearances. But I think you are correct I should have just sent dxf of front and back panels. I might try again with them armed with this knowledge.
Can panel designer from Schaeffer doe the whole 19" case? At this stage getting 3 quotes is a sensible idea.
I also need 4 pcb standoffs welded/rivited in to support the back plane of the pcb.
BTW I built up the PCB and everything worked as expected!! Which thread should I post to with regarding selling some pcb's?
Next week I will make some audio demos so would like to start a new post in the correct location.

With the Meface experiment I could download their own CAD version of the case and add my kicad 3d export the line it all up but I was unsure of the internal clearances due to its design. The cases on the Holt Braodcast looked like they had better clearances. But I think you are correct I should have just sent dxf of front and back panels. I might try again with them armed with this knowledge.
Can panel designer from Schaeffer doe the whole 19" case? At this stage getting 3 quotes is a sensible idea.
I also need 4 pcb standoffs welded/riveted in to support the back plane of the pcb.
BTW I built up the PCB and everything worked as expected!! Which thread should I post to with regarding selling some pcb's?
Next week I will make some audio demos so would like to start a new post in the correct location.
I believe Schaeffer can you a whole case but I have not tried it with them. I think they can also do stand offs. Modushop certainly can do an entire case. I have only used Meface for panels. I did not know they can do cases.

If you want to sell PCBs the best way is through the white market.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
I doubled checked my new pcb fitted my original case design. Luckily I locked the footprints in kicad!!

I doubled checked my new pcb fitted my original case design. Luckily I locked the footprints in kicad!!

I know you Blokes over there in Europe and The UK have various issues with customs, VAT and all of that unnecessary stuff that only makes life in general more difficult to deal with, but..........over on this side of the pond here in the U.S., there is a prototype/low-volume chassis and panel company that may offer you everything that you are looking for!!! Here is their website URL address:

https://www.protocase.com
Should you browse around their website, you can find various "standard" templates for chassis and enclosures including "rack-mount" chassis of the various sizes. You can simply download their CAD-models and then "customize" them to your needs.

I had read about your problem of being able to import a " .step " or " .stp " file and I thought you may be interested in knowing about what my CAD-design software is capable of doing in this regard. I have the CADENCE/OrCAD "PCB Editor" Release 17.4 PCB Design software and also the SolidWorks Premium 2021 3D Mechanical Design CAD-Modeling software. Both of these programs allow me to create all of my mechanical chassis/enclosure designs as well as all of the PCB designs that go inside them. Then, in addition, I purchased a "unique" program called "CADSync" which acts as a direct interface between my CADENCE/OrCAD and my SolidWorks programs. What CADSync allows for me to do is.....as an example.....I could be working on a PCB-design using my CADENCE/OrCAD software and then by launching the "CADSync" program, I would then be able to "DIRECTLY IMPORT" a 3D CAD-model of a rack-mount chassis >> INTO << the PCB-design software and then be able to check for any interference fits or misalignments or any other dimensional issues!!! Just what the doctor ordered, huh???

[I also need 4 pcb standoffs welded/riveted in] -- Here in the U.S. we use what is called "PEM-Hardware" for this purpose. Over there in Europe/UK, there is some other company that offers a similar type of hardware. Down below are a few examples of both rack-mount chassis and PCB's that I have designed. In the second-to-last image (before the camera image), I have inserted a nice close-up image that shows just a corner of a 1U rack-chassis (BLUE), its PCB (GREEN) and a "PEM" PCB stand-off (YELLOW). While the one I used for this 1U project is a "Snap-Fit" type (no other fastening hardware required), PEM offers many other styles and types of PCB stand-offs. In fact, I used some other styles in the other chassis/PCB images that are also shown down below.

Check them out:

https://www.pemnet.com
Should you ever need/require/want any assistance with one of your projects.....let me know, OK???

12-Input X 8-Output RGBHV Video Matrix Router/Switcher
1670016518665.png
1670016591378.png

ABOVE: BNC Output PCB BELOW: CAT5 Output PCB
1670016993579.png

12 Stereo Audio X 8 Stereo Audio Digital Matrix Router/Switcher
1670016748239.png

IMAGE SHOWING "PEM-HARDWARE" FOR PCB-STANDOFFS
1670017848667.png

VIDEO CAMERA AND ASSEMBLY MECHANISM USED ON SURVEILLANCE DRONE
1670017305103.png

/

Here is a video of me unboxing my frontpanel.de order.
The NRG case is pretty deep compared to what I need however at this price point and once it is in the rack it is forgotten about.
I need to tidy up some artwork but now I am reassured everything fits I have some more time to tidy things up.
It is so great to do a one off to catch any problems. Such as hole diameter for Neutrik XLR panel mounts are not all the same. The new ones I had bought were slightly larger than my older ones.

Here is a video of me unboxing my frontpanel.de order.
The NRG case is pretty deep compared to what I need however at this price point and once it is in the rack it is forgotten about.
I need to tidy up some artwork but now I am reassured everything fits I have some more time to tidy things up.
It is so great to do a one off to catch any problems. Such as hole diameter for Neutrik XLR panel mounts are not all the same. The new ones I had bought were slightly larger than my older ones.

Good job but if I were you I would connect all Pin1s directly to the chassis rather than to the audio ground :)

Last edited:
Yeah nice idea. I do have a mounting hole that connects to the chassis. In the final production pcb i should route those pin1 ones in the extra space down to that hole. which is right near the main 24v input.

Behold the sound of the 82 moons in Series. (one side plugged into the other for maximum ooomppff)

I'm building mine in a 3u case so it can have VU meters.Charlie Moons Input and Nutube Output Transformers.jpgtempImagenvnlf2.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool! I take it that this is the same project @rna was working on earlier?

Anyway, given that this thread is about front panel services, maybe update us when it’s finished and let us know if you did anything special or had a particularly good experience with a machining service. Looks like right now it’s a decal on brushed aluminum, so I wonder if your plan is to get a front panel made or if you will keep it as it is and just drill out the holes for your VU meters.

I can't afford one of the super nice cases right now, and was really pleased how the proto sticker turned out.
Yes, I will cut out four squares for the meters (Technique undecided), and also will be on the look out for a VU circuit, perhaps both peak and RMS. I would love to work out if I could shorten the depth of the whole thing without butchering it. It is needlessly deep in the rack. Long term I would love one of the production cases, but then there is no room for the VU's. Oh the dilemma. Did @rna do a video demonstrating the Mid-Side functionality? It is bonkers. I should make one. 👍

Great to see 82 Moons serial number 3 alive!! Case looks great! I can't wait to see the vu meters. I will be jealous!!
And for the record I ordered the stickers from Printed Labels | Sticky Labels | Printed Custom Stickers UK Online
Seemed the cheapest option at first but when you add the price of a blank case you are getting very close to the price of fontpanels.de
So in hind sight i would have gone straight to frank.
But then that would have denied you the use of your case and vu's!!

Back