• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

The Rude Tube PCB (Pre-order Close)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please check the White Market, Zayance has pcbs in stock for this project:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=53011.0

Cardinen said:
Please check the White Market, Zayance has pcbs in stock for this project:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=53011.0

I can only see the Ivory, which is different than the original Rude Tube...

TillM said:
As far as I know, they are the same.

From a different thread, in reply to someone asking about the original Rude Tube:

bernbrue said:
Hi,
There aren't any pcbs available at the moment. You may have luck in finding someone who sells them in the black market.  Fitting it into a 1 HE enclosure is almost impossible.  The Rude Tube Ivory might be interesting for you. This project is somewhat different from the RT but nice as well. This will fit into a 1U enclosure. You will find pcbs in Zayance White market thread.
Bernd

I report my personal experience: I bought PCB from a member here semi assembled.
I had the famous tube distortion commercial unit in studio and this project never worked as it should.
Distortion range is quite limited and not very musical in my opinion.
Bias control is not efficient (in real 6as6 based distortion commercial unit is realized in a complete different way the bias control over the 6as6).
The other bad thing is the absolute gain of the circuit, too much low in my work flow.
The output stage hasn't gain so if you want a subtle effect (use on a mix for example) you can't because in this way you'll have a low level in output. So you have to saturate every time input tube..
I tried to put as original unit gain control before input tube instead of in the place they put it in RT.

I finished it and after few tweaks put on sale immediately...
I hope in something more useful as diy project in future.
I think they abandoned the project in favour of the ivory due to a valid reason.

Only based on my personal experience.

Hello,

I am interested on reading the schematics for the culture tube distortion unit, but I could not find them anywhere.
I thought that one alternative could be to read the rude tube mastery schematics, and searching for them came up here. It would be of great help if anyone could kindly provide me the schematics for the rude tube mastering unit (or a link).

Thanks in advance,

If someone is interested I’ve some pcbs inspired by the first rude tube. I’ve changed the bias control to have more control over the mA ( a negative voltage in series with the mA meter like the commercial one at K instead of K to gnd) And used a different output stage with ecc85 (the one of the redd 47 sounds horrible here) you can use different tubes instead of the 6as6, I’ve used 6ba6 with success. And the input tube is the standard great sounding ef86.

cheers

Hello,

I am interested on reading the schematics for the culture tube distortion unit, but I could not find them anywhere.
I thought that one alternative could be to read the rude tube mastery schematics, and searching for them came up here. It would be of great help if anyone could kindly provide me the schematics for the rude tube mastering unit (or a link).

Thanks in advance,
Nothing special really, think of a mic pre with a pot to control the bias of the 2nd tube. You can get similar result with a standard tube mic pre. Mastering I think stepped switch instead of pots and in out trafo.
Build a three stage tube pre and experiment. A really great project (better than a cv is Kingston drive project)

This should probably be a discussion in another forum but since the order is closed, I'll add that the cathode bias distortion on gtr amps is usually a little nasty when pushed too far! but that's one of the great chases a smooth gradual distortion.

Back