The SynAudCon newsletter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Hi Group,

Did anyone of you know the SynAudCon (Synergetic Audio Concepts) newsletter - 
https://www.prosoundtraining.com/synaudcon-library/  -

this seem to be really detailed information on often really obscure audio-electronics related material, much of it a real pleasure to read..

Like the https://www.prosoundtraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/NLV11N3.pdf article on the transversal equalizer (this the reason I found this goldmine of obscure information)

/Jakob E.

SynAudCon is a mix of the best and the worst.
The best is the contributions by some eminent members and sponsors, the worst is the almost sectarian parochialism. Most members are believers, for whom critical thinking is not a prerequisite. It works in a very similar way to Masons, who help each other climb the social ladder.
There were very strong links between SAC and Crown, when they were under the "guidance" of a degenerate god freak. I don't have fond memories of these times.

thanks, ab - I was sure there would be some sordid reason to why we haven't seen these surface earlier, makes sense now in that context.

Still, some really interesting angles to be found in some issues. I've only sifted through a few of them, but anyways..

/Jakob E.

abbey road d enfer said:
SynAudCon is a mix of the best and the worst.
+1... smart idiots

I recall back in the 80s when I designed and manufactured my  TS-1 audio test set. They wrote a snarky review accusing me of bad math (it happens, but it didn't in that case.)

A feature I included in that combination audio test set was the ability to measure the voltage drop in the internal build out resistor from loading, allowing the capability to measure impedance vs. frequency using a look up table in the owner's manual to correlate x dB of voltage drop to a specific load impedance.

The technical specification claimed a 50 ohm output impedance, but in production I used a 51 ohm, standard 5% value (using a more expensive 1% build out resistor made no economic sense, and rounding down the spec to 50 ohms makes no difference in the real would except to arrogant people who think only they understand electronics). The too smart for his own good reviewer performed the calculation ASSuming a 50 ohm source impedance, and suggested I didn't understand the math. I did the math perfectly for the actual 51 ohm resistance value.

SynAudcon had many fans, and true believers, I was not one. I only found out about their faulty criticism of my TS-1 after they published it, I could have cleared up their misunderstanding with a simple phone call, not like I was very hard to find.   

JR 
The best is the contributions by some eminent members and sponsors, the worst is the almost sectarian parochialism. Most members are believers, for whom critical thinking is not a prerequisite. It works in a very similar way to Masons, who help each other climb the social ladder.
There were very strong links between SAC and Crown, when they were under the "guidance" of a degenerate god freak. I don't have fond memories of these times.

I went to an early seminar in 74 or 75 I think.  I enjoyed the math in the textbook and received the newsletter for many years.  I was an EE student at the time and practiced at math. There were many examples in the seminar to display what the math equations were telling you.  It was a bit of a religion however and Richard Heyser had not created TDS ETF TEF principals yet so I  did not experience having to buy a crown TEF machine that had not been brought to market yet.  The classes were more centered around live sound systems usually for churches, sporting and race track stadiums and live music auditorium sound systems.    Later it became more applicable to control rooms with LEDE design from people like Chip Davis and Russ Berger.    I enjoyed other acousticians books like Michael Rettinger, Alton Everest, John Stork Tom Hedley and such,  since I was very much into sound studio noise control and smaller room acoustics.  I never regretted going to Syn Aud Con however,  but never had to come up with 20k for a TEF analyzer.

Latest posts

Back