Thiele mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedric

i can't find any info on the web about these:
a3_1_b.JPG

but they look like something people would call "a poor man's U47"

"kugel- oder nierencharakteristik"
omni or figure-eight ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7541754855&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

"kugel- oder nierencharakteristik" = Omni and cardioid

The description says it's built in the GDR (East-Germany). It is working, but a little hum is audible.

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]"kugel- oder nierencharakteristik" = Omni and cardioid

The description says it's built in the GDR (East-Germany). It is working, but a little hum is audible.[/quote]

oh cool thanks.
most of my gear is somehow from east-germany.

The Tiele M4 already has been discussed in length on this board.
They all suffer from lots of hum, since the PSU is built into the mic body.
There are more design flaws, like having the tube located right next to the diaphragm (ouch), or the coarse grill leading to audible resonances in the 6 - 7kHz area.

IIRC these mics were designed for conferences and dictaphones. I once had a brochure in my hands where they recommended the omni mode for "round conference tables"...

Nevertheless, the capsule in deed is a close relative to the M7. Also, the Tiele company was geographically quite close to Gefell (Neumann Gefell).

I have a Tiele M4 at home that was modded to a discrete fet design by a Neumann engineer, back in the seventies. It's a very special sounding mic. Seriously f***ed up frequency response, peaky, but soft soft and mid rangy in a nice way. I like it quite a bit on crooner vocals.

So far I haven't seen a single unmodded M4 that was ready for studio use, because of the hilarious amounts of hum.
Just have your soldering iron handy if you intend to purchase one...

My 2 cents.

Michael

[quote author="mig27"]The Tiele M4 already has been discussed in length on this board.
[/quote]

Can anyone direct me to the older discussion?

Thanks,

Roddy

Sorry for the impatient bump, but does anyone know where I can find the info on Thiele mics?

Searching for "thiele" does not work.

Cheers,

Roddy

Thanks guys.

I can remember reading the old topic for Thiele mics and wondered why it wasn't here.

Is there any way to get the old board?

A Thiele M4 has just arrived in my post today!

Unfortunately, someone has taken the power supply out of it.

I've modified two Thiele mikes and made them both into useful studio gear. The first I worked on was my own, an M1 (cardioid only) I bought on Ebay. All I did was remove the power transformer and rectifier, and install an output transformer in the newly available space. Then I built a new external power supply. It now sounds about as cool as it looks. Ridiculously trashy as an instrument mike, but hyped and rock on lead vocals, which is all I use mine for.
More recently I modified an M4 (cardioid and omni) for a client. I removed the power supply, built a new external supply, installed an output transformer, and this time I rearranged the internal components to put the vacuum tube down below the top deck so it wasn't in the way of the capsule. It's not like you're going to get a clean omni pattern out of this thing anyway, but it can't hurt to get the tube out of the way. The omni pattern is at least useful on vocals when you don't want proximity effect or when you want more room tone.
I've got a basic schematic of the M1 on my web site at http://www.rollmusic.com/projects/thielemod.jpg and you can imagine how the M4 differs (it adds another diaphragm, another capacitor, and a switch).
My more recent work used a more sophisticated power supply, including regulated heater supply. I used a Triode transformer in my mike, and a UTC Ouncer in the other guy's. I think ideally you want about a 4:1 step-down transformer. Note the need for a coupling capacitor between the cathode and the transformer.
This microphone has two high-gain triode stages, originally 12AX7. This gives it a *very* hot output and very low headroom. I found using a different tube helps a lot. I think I'm using a 12AY7 in mine right now but I should really switch to a 12AT7 or 12AU7. This lowes output level and output impedance. Even with a step-down output transformer installed, this is a good idea. Otherwise, the tube circuit seems to clip prematurely.
But don't bother modifying your Thiele until you've first confirmed that the capsule works. There's not much point in doing all this work if the M7 is shot. Reskinning it is probably not an option, since it's PVC.

Hey Ulysses,

Thanks for that info - it is good to hear that other people have done this.

Have you seen the Thiele M4 which I am currently modding (destroying)?

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=9780

I've completely gutted it for a new circuit and have re-arranged the insides to move that valve (which will also be changed).

Back