tips on buying an O-scope?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="bcarso"]
I would avoid the generation of Tek scopes after the 22XX period (don't know the models), before they pretty much got their act together again years later. Some of them were really terrible---I couldn't believe that one model that Harman bought had no ability to trigger A sweeps off of B signals!! Really stupid---I think these date from about the time Tek fired/laid off a lot of older engineers and lost the benefit of their advice.[/quote]

Dang! What I meant to say, but only implied was "used analog Tek scope." I have limited experience with digital scopes--mostly more recent models from Agilent and Tek. But these are not going to be affordable. I really hate menus, "soft" buttons, and the like on test equipment. It reminds me of programming my Roland D-110 synth from its front panel (a few buttons, a 2-line text only LCD, and pages of menu tree for parameters).

I have heard some horror stories about the early digital scopes from Tek (1990s models)...sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

A P

I'm glad I asked this here. Lot's of good advice. Thank you all. I am still learning I may be interested in your 2215 Marik. Can you PM me a few details - and $? Also do you have an approximate weight and do you think it will make it to Chicago in one piece?

I have a 4 channel Tek 2465 (350 mhz), and love it. Think I payed under $500 on ebay.
I leave 3 and 4 connected to the other test gear and leave a probe attached to 1. I use the high bandwidth for RF but for audio, its the 20Mhz filter.

Yeah, the 2465 must be nice, it's a bit out of my league in terms of $$ and features.. I may pick up Marik's 2215 to get 2 traces though.

I appreciate everyone's comments. If you have more, please keep them coming, it may help others in the same situation.

Back