TLM 67 capsule wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roachbeatz

So I recently purchased a TLM 67 internal assembly. The body and capsule were used in an IOaudio u67 plug and play module. I purchased the internal assembly hoping to bring it back to life with a new k67 capsule. My issue is I am not sure where to wire the capsule to. The original capsule "plugs" into 7 pins, labeled 1 through 7. I am hoping that maybe one of you can help by telling me what each of the 7 pins correspond to. I plan to use the mic in cardioid only so I really just need to know which "pins" I would wire the capsule to. Unless of course there is a pcb kit available that I could wire in for the remaining switches for hi-pass, pad, and pattern direction. If so I would need to know what pins I would wire that to as well. If anyone could PLEASE help I would very much appreciate it.

**I am new to electronics so please keep answers straight forward and helpful. I realize most of you are very "seasoned" and that my questions may seem amateur or stupid so please have some patience with me.

Attachments

• 20210507_145848.jpg
    20210507_145848.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 25
See the schematic.
Ok, so I'm not the best at reading schematics just yet. From what I see, pins 3 and 6 correspond to the lowcut. Pin 2 connects to the front of the capsule, pin 1 to the side of the capsule. If I am correct then 1+2 would give me cardioid. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I see that 4 and 5 relate to directional pattern. I'm not really sure what 7 correlates to and I'm having a hard time understanding what the pad switch is directly wired to. Looks like maybe 1 and 4?

I greatly appreciate your response btw. I kind of jumped into this thinking it would be as simple as soldering 2 wires to a new capsule. Turned out not being that simple for me. I would like to better understand so that I could possibly add in the rest of the switches as well, but not mandatory at the moment.

My problem is, I just want to know simply what color wires connect to what. The wires are still connected from the pcb to the numbered "pins" in your drawing. So unfortunately it doesn't do much help because I already know which color wires connect. I'm hoping I can just get a straightforward answer from someone that can say hey, "connect the front of the capsule to #? And the side of the capsule to #? and that will allow you to pick up cardioid only."

Maybe i missed it, but the capsule is wired to the headbasket connector which also houses the pad and hpf. There needs to be a head basket for shielding and a body. We don’t know enough of an overall plan to advise. There are multiple possible answers.

Maybe i missed it, but the capsule is wired to the headbasket connector which also houses the pad and hpf. There needs to be a head basket for shielding and a body. We don’t know enough of an overall plan to advise. There are multiple possible answers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-125500_Reverb.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-125500_Reverb.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 31
My plan is to put in a new cradle and k67 capsule. I want to wire the capsule by directly soldering the 2 leads to the corresponding "pins", whichever those may be.

View attachment 80603
Maybe this helps?
Best,
Dirk
In reference to your drawing, are you able to explain what each wire corresponds to?

I realize I should have been referring to the 7 "pins" as "pinholes", since they are essentially female.

For example, if the pin/pinhole plug system didn't exist here, where would the red wire end up? Of course one end is to the pcb itself, but where does it complete the circuit at? Same for the other 3 wires. Yellow, for example, has 3 different connections (1,6,7), but where do those 3 connections correspond to?

Look at the left side of the schematic posted by RuudNL. The number of the pins correspond to those on the drawing.
All three yellow wires are ground connections.
I don't understand reading schematics. That's why I am asking in layman's terms what color wires go to what. I made a previous reply to what I think each wire corresponds to based on what I got from the schematic, but no one has let me know if I was right or wrong. For example, you telling me that the yellow wire goes to ground is the furthest progress I've made so far.

Connect capsule to 1 and 2. Polarity doesn't matter. 1, 7, and 6 are one and the same.

You can really go and connect capsule to anything there until it starts working, as there is no curent there.

Thank you! This is the simple answer I have been searching for. I appreciate your response!

Now, if i wanted to wire both sides of the capsule, what would you recommend the polarity be? I am thinking of purchasing a u67 switch kit from vintagemicrophonepcb.

Maybe you can answer this, maybe you can't...but what number wires would correspond to the pad, lpf, and directional pattern switches.
Connect capsule to 1 and 2. Polarity doesn't matter. 1, 7, and 6 are one and the same.

You can really go and connect capsule to anything there until it starts working, as there is no curent there.

Last edited:
Back