to mod or not to mod that is the question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think to modify is almost human nature. Everybody modifies something to make it better or to personalize it.
Your car, your house, your body, your life, and on and on.
Look at all the industries that are based on modding something.

the tl072 in question was/is performing the task of peak/clip led on a per channel basis, and was/is not really in the audio path. If it was pulled the circuit would still sound fine and pass audio, you would just not have the led indicator.  Yet was suggested to me that it sounds better when replaced with another IC chip. I would suspect this was done because the engineer who did it,most likely did not  have a schematic and did not trace the circuit out. Had he done so would have seen how unnecessary a more expensive chip in that application is...

Personally, I find the OPA627 makes the most visually pleasing bar graph  ;D Especially if it oscillates

There's also something to be said for having an open mind. The curiosity and optimism to try things leads one to learn, whether you are right or wrong about the 'mod'.
And modding might be the gateway to more fruitful exploration down the line.
Personally, i think closed-minded, "this is the way we do it", is a worse trait of human nature.

I applaud the idea of wanting to learn, all day long. But when it takes me away from work duties it better be worth it.  usually it's not and it's time I can't get back throwing my schedule off.

dmp said:
There's also something to be said for having an open mind. The curiosity and optimism to try things leads one to learn, whether you are right or wrong about the 'mod'.
And modding might be the gateway to more fruitful exploration down the line.
Personally, i think closed-minded, "this is the way we do it", is a worse trait of human nature.

Of course, I agree wholeheartedly.  My cynical comment was directed towards a subset of the audio community who see chips like the TL072 or NE5534 and automatically think they can improve things because Jim Williams (not the real one)  told them so.  Without a good understanding of the circuit and some test gear one is much more likely to cause oscillation, power supply problems, DC issues than to actually improve things.

It is especially irritating to people who designed equipment for a living to see people throw expensive super capacitors and opamps at a circuit expecting significant improvement while never bothering to understand what and how the original circuit worked.

Yes there are better modern opamps than the TL07x but when properly applied in the original design such "upgrades" are unlikely to make a significant audible improvement. Certainly not proportionate to the expense and time investment.

I suspect it may be a desire to customize a common product so they can claim that theirs is different/better that the rest.

Whatever.. if you own it, you can do whatever you want to your property, do not expect much love from real circuit designers.

Opamps are kind of like nuts and bolts... you generally do not use a 10# bolt on a 10# connection, you use a 12# or 15# bolt, so putting a 20# bolt in that hole will not make a big difference. The circuit will generally behave as the negative feedback tells it to. 

JR

Back