Tokyo, Japan - Traveling and buying electronic components

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello,
don't know in which section would this post fit, but the LAB seems the most related.

I'm at the moment on Tour in Japan and while visiting Tokyo I decided to look for a place to check out electronic components.
I like to check local electronic components stores when I'm traveling to another part of the World, and maybe some of you like it also.

A nice place in Tokyo to loose yourself and check a lot of small electronics component stores is called Radio Center in Akihabara.
Akihabara was once the hearth of Tokyo electronic parts shops, nowdays it's full of Manga and Animé shops, video game Arcades, computer and phone shops, it's a nice place to visit, and it still keeps a small part of it's past in what's called the "Radio Center"

The Radio Center is a complex of small shops, in tight streets and alleys under the Akihabara train station. It looks like and underground Market from other times.
Some of the shops are specialized just in one type of components, for example there's a shop that only sells transformers and another shop that only sells capacitors.

Here is the address:
Akihabara Radio Center
1 Chome-14-2 Sotokanda, Chiyoda City, Tokyo 101-0021

It's open everyday of the week and opens at 10AM and closes at 7PM

To get there you go to Akihabara Station and leave in the Electric Town Exit, from there it's easy, it's under the rail track.
here is a photo of the complex:

IMG_6335.jpg

here you can seen the small streets and alleys inside this complex, looks a bit like the old Kowloon walled city

IMG_6337.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6344.jpg

Last edited:
You will find a lot of Old Stock there, and I spent a few hours adventuring in this place and buying some parts.
The nice thing is that there's a lot of NOS Japanese made components, which are normally of very high quality, unfortunately that's changing a bit and more and more they are replacing those stocks with lower quality parts from other countries in Asia.

Still there's a lot of good stuff and a lot to be found

Store Dedicated to all kinds of Wires

IMG_6340.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

IMG_6343.jpg

In the middle of the Market complex there's some stairs that go to the first floor, don't miss those stairs because there's a really nice store on the first floor and actually that was my favorite shop.

These are the stairs

IMG_6351.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

When you go up there's some items of the Left side store most radio and hi-fi stuff

IMG_6353.jpg

IMG_6354.jpg

IMG_6356.jpg

But the best shop is on the right side of the stairs,
it has a lot of different components.
One thing that I love about this place is that you have the components in front of you, they're not hidden away, so you can see them and touch them, that is great to help the creativity and be inspired to build something and have ideas of what to use.
Something that you can do with Mouser or Farnell

here is the Store and it's items:

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

Very high quality multi-pin connectors, I never seen those ones before and don't know their name or designaton

IMG_6362.jpg

You put your components choice in the small buckets and then take them to the counter

IMG_6363.jpg

Rotary swithes

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

Other variety of Multi-pin connectors, never seen these ones before also

IMG_6366.jpg

Very High Quality Japanese made Potentiometers:

IMG_6367.jpg

High quality japanese made DB connectors:

IMG_6368.jpg

switches

IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

POTS

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

Overall the prices are not cheap, don't expect you will make any bargains there, Japan is an expensive country and the items reflect that.
But the fact that you can see and touch the items and the part of just buying adventures and having fun while discovering new stuff makes the visit totally worthwhile

Great picture report :)

Yes, generally not cheap. Some rare NOS stuff still around, I can tell. And as an experience one of a kind.

Akiba still is THE place to visit for DIY in Tokyo. Haven't been myself for years now, although I live in Tokyo.

They no longer have garage sales, being one reason. And my trusted tube seller closed a couple of years ago. Also, a lot of it is online these days, saving me the train fares.

Unfortunately, many owners are all elderly guys, and when they finally retire for good, their store is gone too. Also, manga and anime has taken over a lot over the last ten to fifteen years.

But still a lot to see ;) Should go myself again some time.

Looks like Shenzhen (HK) used to be 15 or so years ago, before it filled up with lots of flashy LEDs and junk. South of San Francisco used to be an electronic bits mecca 30 or so years ago but now nothing left. Dunno how the big tower in Singapore is going. Edgeware Rd in London is totally stuffed. Treasure the Tokyo place while it is still there. DIY electronics is highly unfashionable these days.

Interesting. If you are into film cameras I believe there are some great shops for that too. Would love to visit Tokyo. I think the biggest problem would be ones luggage allowance on the way back ...

Yes, there’s also shops for Photographic Cameras second hand and new in Shinjuko area.
great shops

4CAFF331-B7B1-45F8-9281-345E8B560173.jpeg

US Cities used to have them. Minneapolis had Crazy Louies, Axeman Surplus, and Acme Electronics for instance. When Acme closed up, they were selling all of their electronic components by the pound. I bought up lots of shelf-stable components at that time. The internet/ebay etc has largely made these places obsolete, in a bad way. When I was a kid, my parents would take my brothers and I to these stores and give us each a quarter to spend on anything we wanted. We had so much fun looking at all the components etc, which we had no clue how to use.

Ok, I just like small shiny things....

RIP Acme.

-Tony

Latest posts

Back