Tools for Tube Restoration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matriachamplification

Wall Thomas
Hello friends,

Our family needs help creating a list of the ideal quality tools for our growing workshop, with focus on our current tube console restoration project linked here. We have a soldering iron and fluke multi-meter. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wall and Family

Hey Wall! What make and model is the soldering iron? In many cases you might need something with more "oomph" for your project. I have one of these in my seldom-used reserve....mine is much older and is black in color:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weller-100-Watt-140-Watt-Soldering-Gun-Kit-9400PKS/301430491
What selection do you have for screwdrivers and Allen wrenches? Hex head drivers? Etc.

Bri

Edit: when I was a young whippersnapper in the 1970's, I used to write magazine articles. This one still has some good suggestions although I've changed some opinions since then.

See attachment.

Attachments

• Tools.pdf
    812.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Since I wrote that article decades ago, I learned a thing or two.....although my Sears Craftsman screwdrivers are still going strong! (thank you Dad and Grandad for knowing that brand)

I have become a fan of the Wiha brand tools for small screwdrivers (as in set screws, etc) and small Allen drivers.

Years ago, I bought a "manly" Klein set with multiple "security head" bits that magnetically "click" into the driver handle.

I also added one or two #3 Phillips screwdrivers...for Big Hoss screws! And both Imperial and Metric hex nut drivers.

Bri

What selection do you have for screwdrivers and Allen wrenches? Hex head drivers? Etc.

We have standard sets of tools for household maintenance however I would like to keep the tools on our workbench available. So we would like as many tips and tools as possible. Reading your article now.

Brand names were very helpful. Makes searching so much easier.

Thanks!

Edit: when I was a young whippersnapper in the 1970's, I used to write magazine articles. This one still has some good suggestions although I've changed some opinions since then.

See attachment.
The artwork in your article is legend! Harold Perry captured the concept beautifully.
Great write-up. Still digesting.

Attachments

• Artwork by Harold Perry.png
    Artwork by Harold Perry.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 7
gotta have a silly scope, AKA oscilloscope. Have a tone generator that can generate various waves at adjustable frequencies and levels.
For bench stuff I use and audio precision but those are pretty expensive. see if you can find one within budget on the used market.
Scopes I prefer analog. Again you can get a nice analog scope for pennies on the dollar on the used market.
In a Pinch if I didn't have my AP, I have used daw software and an interface or even room eq wizzard and interface

For tube projects, it was helpful to get a high voltage power supply. I got a Heathkit IP-17
Let's you switch to the known good bench power supply for filament and/or B+ as needed.

If you're going to make your own turret boards, a drill press and jig to press the turrets.

Good lighting and 1.5X (or +) reading glasses.

A good soldering station AND a soldering gun when you need more oomph (particularly soldering a ground to a chassis or things like that).

If you're doing any PCB stuff, a de-soldering gun is about the best bang for the buck I spent (Hakko 808)

I just ordered a pair of soft grip pliers from stew mac for taking nuts off pots on faceplates. I've had a pair of pliers for years with tape on the jaws that I'm hoping the soft grip pliers improve on.

For tube projects, it was helpful to get a high voltage power supply. I got a Heathkit IP-17
Let's you switch to the known good bench power supply for filament and/or B+ as needed.
Hello dmp,

turns out we have a heathkit IP-17 in storage. Not sure if it works though.

Sorry, Heathkit IM-25 is the model in storage.

Thanks!

Wall and Family

Last edited:
Back