Toroidal transformers suitable for Mexico 127v AC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

Here in Europe we have 2x115v Ac primary transformers or single 230v ac.
But if i was to send a product to Mexico, where they have 127v Ac, ¿where can i find a toroidal transformer for such a voltage?
I try at Mouser, farnell and Rs, but no result..

AFAIK Mexico is supposed to be 117VAC 60Hz just like the USA. My experience selling gear into Mexico their mains voltage was more often low voltage than high. Years ago Peavey's iconic CS800 (nicknamed el burro down there), was well liked because it would keep working well under nominal main voltages.

JR

According to Wikipedia there is a 127V standard in addition to the North America-wide 120V distribution standard, but no notes as to whether that was historical and just not changed everywhere, or regional, or how to know if or when you might hit that.
Mains electricity by country

I found somewhere else that claimed it was to simplify connection to 3-phase, so that instead of having 120V L-N and 208V L-L you get 127V L-N and 220V L-L. That makes sense, because that Wikipedia table indicates 120V and 127V for residential, and 220V for 3-phase, which I think indicates that some residential areas are wired from a single phase of the 3-phase feed, and other areas are wired more like the rest of North America with distribution transformers connected to 3-phase that then feed single phase 120V to the residences.

I don't know where that leaves the OP question, other than it seems most equipment doesn't do anything special to accomodate it other than maybe being sure that high line is well tolerated in all the downstream circuit design.

As product manager for 15 years at Peavey (last century) we never supplied different mains voltage SKUs for the Mexican market.

If anything the modern trend for product design is to use universal input voltage PS (60V-270V?).

JR

PS; I have found evidence of a 127v-220v nominal voltage standard mentioned around the internets, but in my experience US voltage amps and SKUs sold well.

AFAIK Mexico is supposed to be 117VAC 60Hz just like the USA. My experience selling gear into Mexico their mains voltage was more often low voltage than high. Years ago Peavey's iconic CS800 (nicknamed el burro down there), was well liked because it would keep working well under nominal main voltages.

JR
The official value is 127V/60Hz. There used to be two companies CFE and Luz y Fuerza, the former used 120V, the latter used 127V, around 2007, Luz y Fuerza was dissolved and CFE took over of everything, but the official value of 127 V remained, as stated in the Official Diary of the Federation (https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=4872903&fecha=06/04/1998). In my experience, if it works with the 120V line voltage of the US, it works down here as well. Every piece of equipment I've ever owned is for the US line levels, and no problem whatsoever using them here.

Every single transformer I've used for equipment here is the same as those transformers used in the US. There is no (to my knowledge) adaptations of US equipment to be used with the 127 V line voltage of Mexico.

PS, back then there used to be more line voltage variations, but nowadays the voltage level is quite steady.

I am attaching a pic of the voltage I measured right now at my home.voltage Mexico.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi!

Finally I got an email from the person interested in Mexico, and he says he's got 120v AC at home. So I think a 2x115v AC primary toroidal transformer, will work, using a single primary, as these transformers usually have a tolerance of 10% in input voltage, and can work at 50/60hz.

Merry Christmas!

Jay x

Both primaries in parrallel for 120 and make sure you have the windings connected the right way round .

Latest posts

Back