TR-909 Sequencer Odd Behaviour - HELP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athousanddetails

Hey folks!

So I recently got a 909 and I got a super odd issue that I’m going to describe:

-When I enter the pattern write mode and step mode, as soon as I press Continue to start creating patterns the sequencer behaves in a way that if I press Step 1 it will light up step 1 and 3. If I press step 2 it lights up 2 and 4. And it behaves like this with all other steps. If i press step 3 it lights up 3 and 1. And it's not just the LED, it also triggers the voice board.

- When I’m on Pattern Select and chose a pattern the step keys work fine it picks one pattern, normal behaviour.

- In Tap mode I presse the voices buttons, and only that voice plays, like expected.

-Even with all the steps turned off sometimes it plays like a random tom from nowhere, and I check each instrument and they have all steps unlit.

-I got 2 OS V4.0 Eproms, one original v1.0 OS Eprom and 2 RAM IC. I've tried them all in different combos (ROM + RAM) since the switchboard has sockets, but the behaviour persists. Although when I changed RAM IC from the Toshiba to the other one I have, it does work as expected for a few moments and then back to the 1 button press 2 buttons lit.

-Also I dunno if it came from factory this way (because the pads never had solder on them) but my Q601, 602 and 603 are totally odd, 602 and 603 are under the pcb, there are some shunts from points to others, but from what I've seen those just affect Din / Midi Sync.... but guess and cause other issues.

-My switch board PCB number ends in 700, the service manual in 701 and I've seen many online pictures with version 702 of the Switchboard, which might mean mine is very early model ?

Where should I look to troubleshoot and fix this? Oddly enough my google search didn't returned anything about this until now, so I decided to ask here, maybe someone went through this.

Thanks for helping out!

Back