Transformer metalwork wanted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I have the opportunity to get some line level output transformers but they are a mount through a PCB type (just like a Carnhill VTB1847). For the project I want them for I need chassis mounting types like the VTB2291 So, if I can get hold of the metal U shaped assembly that forms the actual chassis mounting I could convert these. I don't even know what to call this piece of metal. Help!

Edit: I think it is called a U clamp.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
I have the opportunity to get some line level output transformers but they are a mount through a PCB type (just like a Carnhill VTB1847). For the project I want them for I need chassis mounting types like the VTB2291 So, if I can get hold of the metal U shaped assembly that forms the actual chassis mounting I could convert these. I don't even know what to call this piece of metal. Help!

Edit: I think it is called a U clamp.

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian,
Transformer frames, here's a source in the US, Metal Stamping, Tool & Die Maker | Bahrs Die & Stamping

So what you need is the two metal frames that contains the actual lamination stack.
A square folded "box" with a square cutout for the bobbin, four holes for screws and some additional holes on the bottom (with room for screwheads between lams and metal box), correct?

If it's not a terrible hurry, I can include it next time I have something lasered, which should be mid-January, then I just have to bend it up for you.
I'd need the exact size of the lam stack, in mm, with calipers, to make sure it fits after bending.
What gauge sheet are we talking? 0.8mm mild steel?
And how many would you need?

I can do the CAD-drawing over the holidays (unless you prefer to do it), you can check so there aren't any mistakes;-)

V!

So what you need is the two metal frames that contains the actual lamination stack.
A square folded "box" with a square cutout for the bobbin, four holes for screws and some additional holes on the bottom (with room for screwheads between lams and metal box), correct?
What I need is to turn the transformer in the picture in the previous post into one like the pic attached here (minus the tag board on top). So it is a strip of steel shaped into a U channel and the U channel then has a couple of V cuts made in it so it can then bent into a U shape with a couple of ears with holes in them for fixing. Hopefullt that is clear from the attached pic
If it's not a terrible hurry, I can include it next time I have something lasered, which should be mid-January, then I just have to bend it up for you.
I'd need the exact size of the lam stack, in mm, with calipers, to make sure it fits after bending.
What gauge sheet are we talking? 0.8mm mild steel?
And how many would you need?

I can do the CAD-drawing over the holidays (unless you prefer to do it), you can check so there aren't any mistakes;-)

V!
I am in no hurry at all. I only need four immediately but if you can make 10 that would be great. The pic attached seems to indicate 1mm steel. I think I have one lying around so I will pass the calipers over it. If not we will have to make do with the laminations dimensions shown in the first post.

I am enormously grateful for your kind offer to make these for me.

Cheers and a Happy Christmas,

Ian

Attachments

• VTB2291.png
    VTB2291.png
    234.3 KB · Views: 1
Ah, I see. A reasonably standard transformer fitting, I've seen these before!
That should be within the limits of the possible.
I'll make a sketch and be in touch over the holidays.
I've learned so much from being here, it's wonderful if I can contribute something back to the community...

Happy holidays!
V!

Hi Viggo, I have now finished checking the drawing. Here are my comments.

1. Can you confirm that the fixing slots are the right size for M4 screws?

2. I think the lengths of the 3 sections may be too short. The ones at either end are 50.8mm in your drawing but the corresponding lamination dimension is 54.3mm. The centre one you have as 58mm whereas the laminations are 59.7mm

3. The inside width of the strip is 25.4mm on your drawing but the corresponding lamination dimension is only 23.9mm

I know there needs to be some allowance for bending so I would have expected all the dimensions to be a little larger than the lamination dimensions but some seem to be smaller and others larger. I have zero mechanical skills so I am a little confused.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

The slots are made for M5, I will adjust them to M4 (R2.1 will give you a few tenths for ease of mounting).

I just guessed the measurements from the picture, partly assuming imperial dimensions.
I'll adjust the sketch with your measured dimensions.
Cheers

Hi Viggo, I have now finished checking the drawing. Here are my comments.

1. Can you confirm that the fixing slots are the right size for M4 screws?

2. I think the lengths of the 3 sections may be too short. The ones at either end are 50.8mm in your drawing but the corresponding lamination dimension is 54.3mm. The centre one you have as 58mm whereas the laminations are 59.7mm

3. The inside width of the strip is 25.4mm on your drawing but the corresponding lamination dimension is only 23.9mm

I know there needs to be some allowance for bending so I would have expected all the dimensions to be a little larger than the lamination dimensions but some seem to be smaller and others larger. I have zero mechanical skills so I am a little confused.

Cheers

Ian
Not to take away from the efforts being put forth by "Disco", but are you looking for something like THIS???

1672425309805.png

1672425206735.png
* Material thickness: 1.0mm
* All -- inside -- dimensions are as such to accommodate the -- outside -- dimensions of the CARNHILL transformer image you have previously provided in your Post #4.
* Mounting slots are more than big enough for an M4 machine screw.
* CAD-design software used is "SolidWorks" (i.e., not "FREE").
* "Old Fart" sitting here collecting dust with nothing to do and merely waiting for the "Grim Reaper" to stop by one day just decided to figure out what it is you needed to have done. So.....here it is!!!

/

Hey MidnightArrakis
Yeah, that's pretty much where I was headed, just in the physical world. My sketch will be adjusted to the correct dimensions, lasercut from mild steel sheet and bent in my workshop. Then sent on to Ruffrecords in Britain for mounting his Carnhills in...
Happy New Year, I might get back to you with a electronics project later this year, just gathering some specs and thoughts.
Cheers, Viggo

@ruffrecords: here's the updated sketch with your measurements. Added in bending-room and highlighted the relevant measures in green. Slightly smaller mounting tabs with 4.2mm holes (R2.1) Check it again, I'm only human;-)
Happy New Year! and happy tinkering to everybody;-)
Cheers, V!
Screenshot from 2022-12-30 21-08-11.png

That is exactly the sort of thing I need. But I do not need a design for it, I need the physical thing itself :)

Cheers

Ian
[I do not need a design for it, I need the physical thing itself] -- I certainly understand that!!! But, usually in order to somehow obtain "the physical thing itself", you first need some type of a design and its associated mechanical detail drawing in order to have the design physically made. I was merely throwing in my -- 2-cents worth -- (2-quid???) of assisting with a 3D CAD-model of what you are/were looking for. That's all.

1672434837016.png

I don't know how things are over on "your side of the pond", but over here on this side, I can e-mail the CAD-model file of this transformer bracket to a number of sheet-metal shops here in the U.S. and they can load my CAD-file directly into their equipment and then spit-out however many of these brackets that you want to have!!! And, they will also ship them right to your own front-door!!! Pretty cool, huh???

Maybe next time!!!

NOTE TO DISCO: Rename the attached -- .TXT -- file to have either a -- .STEP -- or an -- .STP -- file extension instead, if you want to try and import it into your FreeCAD program.

/

Attachments

• CARNHILL Transformer Mounting Bracket.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 1
  • CARNHILL Transformer Mounting Bracket.TXT
    231.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back