Transformer question (MTE B-3160, M124-101)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonoresstudios

Got a couple of transformers with the label:

MTE B-3160 (on the top)

Northlake Eng. Inc.
Antioch, IL. 60002
M124-101

A litte google search says it's a:
Magna-Tech Magnasync Transformer MTE B-3160 Northlake Eng. Inc. Is this correct?

Someone told me it's basically a Jensen JT-69-HMX. Can someone confirm this?

If they are NOT the same as the Jensen, does anyone got the spec for a Magna-Tech Magnasync Transformer MTE B-3160 Northlake Eng. Inc?

Attachments

• Magna-Tech Magnasync Transformer MTE B-3160 Northlake Eng_1.jpg
    Magna-Tech Magnasync Transformer MTE B-3160 Northlake Eng_1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 9
I have seen model 69 repro amps missing the transformers on ebay because the Triads are so valuable. The PTC and Northlake are usually intact, but that does not mean they are inferior. I have a Northlake here and it ohms out as follows:

Primary
Winding 1:
Red & Brown - 34.5R

Winding 2:
Orange & Yellow - 33.9R

Secondary
Winding 3:
Green & Blue/Violet - 34.1R
Blue/Violet & Grey - 34.1R

White - Shield/Case

So basically you have a split primary and a center tapped secondary (or vice-versa) with all windings equal.

EDIT: Just noticed this was a 5 year old thread. Are you digging into some Magna-Tech, Evan?

EDIT: Just noticed this was a 5 year old thread. Are you digging into some Magna-Tech, Evan?
Hi Mike!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have had 6 of those MagnaTech 69 modules for some time, and never really worked out what to do with them yet. I had worked out that the output transformers should be pretty decent (and I think at least some of the modules have an O-25 UTC imput transformer also?)

Is the circuit itself potentially of some use for some application or other in a studio context?
/ or mod-able for something?

Or more suitable for parting out, do you reckon?

Good to hear from you!
:)

Evan

Hi Evan,

I only ever had one of these and ended up parting it out. But perhaps there is more info out there now, schematics, etc. Back in the day I found a manual with scant few details at www.film-tech.com (search MTE to find it), and a Jensen Note about adding one of their transformers to the 69C. Poke around and see if the schematic pops up. That will tell us a lot.

Mike

Currently, only a few Jensen application schematics exist for Magna-Tech. See www.jensen-transformers.com and look under "resources" then "application schematics" and "equipment upgrades." You'll see AS039 regarding synch playback for the 69C. In the late 1990s, Jensen designed upgraded replacements for the entire playback amplifier (that included selection of 8 (I think) EQ presets, keyed to headstack changes, with a hand-held controller that communicated through the front-panel output jacks to trim each preset. We also did a high-performance record amplifier for those machines. We made hundreds of them - Lucasfilm and others were huge customers for them and we eventually sold them through Magna-Tech (and eventually licensed the designs to Magna-Tech). There are probably hundreds of them floating around ... or maybe most of them ended up in India - I don't know. But the Jensen drop-in replacements were truly high-performance electronics for the Magna-Tech. I did the circuit designs, with help from my junior engineer - we were quite proud of the results. But, alas, mag-striped film has gone the way of the dinosaur!

Latest posts

Back