Transformerless Line to Amp circuit.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camarada78

Is there a simple "standard" circuit to make a Line to Amp (reamp box) without the use of transformers?

I already have one with transformer (edcor) and I would like to compare to a transformerless version.

Thanks,

Have a good day.

The transformer is for galvanic isolation.  The ground loop is eliminated with the transformer. Not so easy without.  I don’t know of a circuit that can do that without a balanced input. Typically unbalanced is  used on instrument (guitar/bass) amps.

camarada78 said:
Is there a simple "standard" circuit to make a Line to Amp (reamp box) without the use of transformers?
It is quite possible. It's a basic differential line receiver, which could be a one opamp gig, a 3 opamp gig, or use a dedicated chip (E.G. THAT1206). It should be powered from a source referenced to the guitar amp, or off batteries.

abbey road d enfer said:
It is quite possible. It's a basic differential line receiver, which could be a one opamp gig, a 3 opamp gig, or use a dedicated chip (E.G. THAT1206). It should be powered from a source referenced to the guitar amp, or off batteries.

Supposing i dont have ground problems on the setup, a simple balancing circuit would do the trick?

p51-f2.gif

camarada78 said:

I already have one with transformer (edcor) and I would like to compare to a transformerless version.

Thanks,

Have a good day.

Hello,

could be interesting comparison if you don't get into troubles with ground. I tested 2 other transformers and Edcor, used mainly with guitars (clean and distorted). Sound wasn't really different with the same signal levels, guess instruments had a lot more distortion than circuit. Passive is probably cheaper compared to expense for psu with transformer, bigger chasis, etc.
Let us know how you like it regarding sound and ground.

Latest posts

Back