Transformers and Phantom Power

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some modern audio interfaces have a mute/ramp-up on the phantom power ,
it auto mutes the audio for a few seconds while the p48volt rail stabilises , so no pops clicks or bangs are heard . Maybe a gentle ramp up is less likely to cause damage to transformers or ribbon mics that can do without the voltage spike .

Some modern audio interfaces have a mute/ramp-up on the phantom power ,
it auto mutes the audio for a few seconds while the p48volt rail stabilises , so no pops clicks or bangs are heard . Maybe a gentle ramp up is less likely to cause damage to transformers or ribbon mics that can do without the voltage spike .
Ive seen this as well. A little desktop apollo i have does this type of thing.
Wonder if any of them have fault protection built in? Like if it detects runaway current, does it halt 48v from being activated?

Ive seen this as well. A little desktop apollo i have does this type of thing.
Wonder if any of them have fault protection built in? Like if it detects runaway current, does it halt 48v from being activated?
I would think given the transient nature of a fault, halting 48 would make no difference. It's already designed to draw max 14mA/channel completely shorted. I'm missing a scenario with any other outcome, since the faults are related to cap discharge; there won't be more coming after and it's already too late if it's a problem.

My habit is to
1) Make sure Mic gain is minimal and fader is down,
2) Make sure Phantom Power is off
(1 & 2 are interchangeable)
3) Set the mic up and plug it in
4) Turn Phantom Power on
5) Bring up fader, set mic gain.
6) Don't use Phantom with dynamic or ribbon mics.
7) Read instructions.
(6 & 7 may super cede 1 & 2)
Proceed at your own risk.

Latest posts

Back