Transformers: Tools of the trade for a beginner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camarada78

Hello,

I've built a bunch of mic kits (matador's, dan pcbs mostly) and some of my own adaptations and pedals. So i'm kind of familiar with the building and assemblying aspects of audio, but regarding transformers, i'm kind of a noob. I usually pic them from the shelve, measure what I need and that is it.

Since the dollar rates sky rocket in my country (almost 50% rise in a little more than a year) I am more and more building my own stuff or modding a lot of cheap stuff to make them better.

But regarding transformers, specially microphone output and preamp input/output I'm still noob. So i would like to know what would be good tools to start making my own.  I'm not looking for big professional machines, my demand are small boutique stuff. Someone suggested a small tatoo artist winding, but there are too many options.

Is there a book on audio transformers (specially mic and preamp ones)? To know things like lamination types, wiring methods and measures, what and how to measure.

tools i already have
- osciloscope
- function generator
- multimeter and component tester
- soldering iron
- dc power supply
- ac power supply
- dremel

Thanks again folks, I love this forum.

:-D

A digital vernier gauge and small (15cm) stainless steel rule are two pieces of kit well worth getting for the winding bench,
Getting the hang of measuring magnet wire diameter is also a skill worth having , in the case of finer diameter wires its not always easy to get a true measurement by the time you've removed the insulation material.
I find a bench LCR meter useful, it has good resolution in the lower ohm ranges and with Kelvin connected cables is capable of measuring small capacitances .

You should get a manual winding machine and maybe help to fix your friends burned transformers.
Thats a good start.

here a link for a perfectly fine manual winder with turn counter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NZ-1-Manual-Hand-Electric-Dual-Purpose-Coil-Winder-Winding-Machine-With-Count-zs/113006289388?hash=item1a4fb321ec:g:k8sAAOSw5P9bA0ZI

Latest posts

Back