Trident CB9054 B-Range Limiter - Schematics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x57hktsaxj1n4zv/AAAlyAhBaux0wly5FGxHuWwRa?dl=0
Here you go, everyone.

Schematics have had notes added to describe some functions, and of course part values where needed. Please note although the circuit is expecting +45VDC, There's no point sending much more than +30VDC as it's immediately getting knocked down to 24VDC.

All real credit should go to Earthsled, as he did an incredible job of documenting a real pair. I was lucky to get a pair myself in for repair to confirm a lot of info and dig a bit deeper.

If there's interest, I have designed PCB's that are almost exact to the originals, minus a couple footprints, and am happy to do a group buy for those. I'm also having the original chassis made if you'd like to do a 100% original build.

Please let me know thoughts/questions!

I'm interested in 2-4 boards myself. Can the input to these be unbalanced at just omit R1 and leave Audio - disconnected? If so, I think these would work great inserted in a multi stage preamp to make a channel strip.

Thanks!

Paul

I'm hoping the chassis can be done in the area of $50 or less. Will have a quote done in the next few weeks.

The PCB is actually two PCBs that are stacked on top of one another.

YES you can absolutely run these unbalanced. Actually they ARE unbalanced, they just provide the ability to take a balanced signal and not just shove the cold straight to ground. They are VERY cool limiters. All IC chips are only in the sidechain, the audio path is straight out of the A & B series consoles.

Cool, I'd be interested in a pair. Like Rob, it will be a matter of how flush I am when everything comes together, but I'd likely be up for the chassis as well.

Hi analog audio lovers,
Is this topic still alive, I am interested how it sounds, some audio clips would be great, expiriances and impression of the compressor
Best regards
Braca

I know there's a few interested parties that haven't chimed in who wanted boards.
I'll leave this open for a bit longer before I collect the money and order the PCB's.
PCB Group buy will be final by the end of the first week of July so we can get this rocking.
I'll work on the Chassis in the mean time.

What sort of chassis you looking to get done ?
Original plug in type module, or a 1U type of box ?

I got a couple of orig ones here if you’d like me to model them up in solidworks ?

1u or similar chassis I'm anyone who wants will have their own ideas on. Though I can make a front panel express file and post here with the original style layout.

I don't have original modules here, but I DO have the B-Range relay modules, which were identical chassis with a blank front. I'm going to take those in to my local shop along with the front panel layout I did in 1:1 as original, if anyone wants that. It will be exact, minus the brand logo, and will require a 24 pin McMurdo or Amphenol connector in the rear.

Hi analog audio lovers,
Is this topic still alive, I am interested how it sounds, some audio clips would be great, expiriances and impression of the compressor
Best regards
Braca
Sadly I don't have the compressors here to do audio examples. What immediately struck me once I got them properly calibrated was how useable they were. especially loved them on the 2 bus with FAST attack, and 1 or 2 sec release. slow attack at 100ms was great all around on individual channels and vocals. But I think my first set might be married to the drum bus. I plan on making a rack with 8 vertical channels.

Done a metalwork mock up of the original unit, I can get a price if anyone is interested ?

Don't think we can get the original Simpson meter, but I'm sure there's a correct size replacement out there..

If theres enough interest, I'll rough out a 1U type of design / 500 format etc

Any interest for a chassis that will take 8 of these vertical style modules ?

Attachments

• TRIDENT 9054 CHASSIS.JPG
    TRIDENT 9054 CHASSIS.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Something along the lines of this -
Will have to sort out the side chain link switches etc, front panel power and supply healthy LED.
I’ll do a connector plate to suit the 22 way McMurdo’s, but going ahead, it might be a bit more cost effective to use a different connector ?
Best,
Steve

Attachments

• 627CDA0B-2170-4E79-BD5B-6A96E7095988.jpeg
    627CDA0B-2170-4E79-BD5B-6A96E7095988.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 0
Kid Squid that's fantastic! If these are exact measurements I'd be down. I already have all the connectors I need NOS. Never found another connector I liked. Everythings cheap these days. Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for 32 pin substitutes as well. I'd be down for a rack at the very least! Would these be screen printed as original?

The Hairball Audio 8045 meter will fit the same cutout as the original meters though you may need to widen the screw holes by just a hair. it also has an internal germanium bridge rectifier, so you can jumper that on the pcbs

Kid Squid that's fantastic! If these are exact measurements I'd be down. I already have all the connectors I need NOS. Never found another connector I liked. Everythings cheap these days. Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for 32 pin substitutes as well. I'd be down for a rack at the very least! Would these be screen printed as original?
Yes, they are all exact measurements taken off my originals.
I modelled in the 24 way McMurdo male last night, I'll do the female hopefully later today
I can then model in the connector back plate, with exact mating details.

How many of the 32 pins are you looking for ? male or female ?

and, yes, I'll get them screen printed as per the originals ;)

[Don't think we can get the original Simpson meter, but I'm sure there's a correct size replacement out there] -- You can find these little guys online easily enough. I purchased 48 of them myself last October. Average regular price is around $3.00 and change, but in quantities, the price can come down to around $1.85 each plus shipping:

View attachment 110723

[if you’d like me to model them up in solidworks?] -- And.....I'm also available for any mechanical design work using SolidWorks as well!!! (HINT: I also perform PCB-designs, using the CADENCE/OrCAD "PCB Editor" software), as shown in the images below):

>> (RE-IMAGINED) -- 1948 - RCA "BR-2A Broadcast Equipment Panel & Shelf Unit" - 5U Height

View attachment 110724

>> 12-Channel "RGB-HV" BNC Video Input X 8-Channel "RGB-HV" BNC Video Output Matrix Router/Switcher - 3U Height
View attachment 110725

>> Rear-View (also showing stereo audio connectors)
View attachment 110726

>> Inside View
View attachment 110727

>>> RGB-HV Video Input BNC Connectors to RGB-HV Video Output CAT5 Connectors
View attachment 110728

>> 256-Composite Video BNC Input X 256-Composite Video BNC Output Matrix Router/Switcher - 12U Height
Price: $20,000 - Fully-loaded with all PCB's and software features
NOTE: Top enclosure on the left-side door houses a front-panel video display,
while the bottom enclosure houses the unit's VICOR power-supply.

View attachment 110730

>> Inside View showing some connectors and PCB card-guides
View attachment 110734

>> 12-Channel Stereo Audio Input X 8-Channel Stereo Audio Output Digital Matrix Router/Switcher - 1U Height
View attachment 110733

>> "Configurable" 1U Rack-Mount Cooling Chassis for concert PA-System amplifier racks
View attachment 110732

>> "Surveillance Camera" designed to be mounted to the bottom of a tethered U.S. military drone
View attachment 110735

If interested.....just send a PM and let me know what you need!!!

/
Nice work man !!

Latest posts

Back