Tube collar socket? What is it for?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clbraddock

I recently bought some tube sockets for a project and unbeknownst to me there is a “socket” where one of the screw holes would normally be. Just curious what the purpose of this is for.
C9D940FE-1A00-41FC-9778-A3351CC538E7.jpeg

That particular socket, if it's anything like the Belton VT9-PT-C, is for PCB mount or chassis mount according to this. For some reason it only has that thing on one side:

https://tubedepot.com/products/belton-9-pin-miniature-chassis-pc-mount-socket

Got it. I think that is the exact same socket. Where I bought it from didn't mention the hybrid panel mount/pcb mount, and I guess I didn't look at it very closely when I ordered.

Since I'm panel mounting the tubes, I might just see if I can pop that collar socket off.

Thanks!!

I've used a bunch of those Belton sockets for some builds and really like them. The circuit designer recommended those for the build. That Micalex material is pretty amazing. It's all I use when I'm doing tubes. No more ceramic even though it looks cool.

might use it to ground pins 4,5 heater on 12A...series tubes,

like this cool Massie amp i get to work on,

this amp is very quiet despite the non-standard heater grounding scheme.

Massie worked for Fender back in the 40's til his parents struck oil in their back yard, just like the Beverly Hillbilly's only different, Sometimes sold under St. George.

socket.jpg

Last edited:
Back