Tube synth teaser

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: It looks amazing, I bet it sounds like that as well.
IMO it's great to see someone build something as radical as this!

Suggestion: I'm not sure how this would be practical (given the different impedance) but I'm a modular synth lover, and I'd sure think patchpoints are a valid addition.
(and will greatly expand your potential customer base)

Sooo.....two weeks turned into 2 months...

I had to design some paid work in the mean time, but now I spent 5 days building the synth only, and today I was finally able to play with it, if only with oscillators, filter, mixer and VCA and keyboard. This beast is alive, I tell you. :)

I wonder what I get when pulse modulation, ring modulation, FM, feedback and output stage distortions work. More or less chaos I guess. With strange attractors.

Tuning is pretty stable, most drift is probably due to power supply regulation. In any case this is fully functional in studio or on the stage as it is now and probably more stable than old analog synths.

I try to take some pictures soon. 

-Jonte

hey all, i signed up on this forum solely to keep looking at this outstanding project. this is unbelievable, some of the best DIY i've seen to date.

i'm cobbling together a noisemaker based on the barbour circuits, was googling around when i ran into this. mind = blown.

regards from bombay, india. looking forward to see/hear more!

Hi all!

I've now been playing it for two weeks, although not all modulations are yet available. I just don't have a working audio interface to make samples! I hope a friend drops in this week with something to record with.
I wonder what would be the most convenient way to make the samples available then? I would like to keep them uncompressed. Perhaps I could drop something on my knifaudio page, but I don't have a lot of bandwidth available there.

If someone has, and is willing to host, I am all into it.

At the moment the synth has meantone tuning modules in it. Really makes me wanna record some French Baroque organ music. :)

-Jonte

sign up for dropbox, and put the audio files in the public folder.  then just share the link.  easy way to get 2GB of free bandwidth!    upload .aif or .wav files, as they'll be the raw, uncompressed format you're after!

yes definately keep them as Wav, no compression or rate conversion.
Perhaps 24/48 if you can spare the time to upload the larger files?

I'm still in awe.

Finally I got someone with an Mbox to visit me. I repaired some stuff while he played with the synth. Some of the sounds are played by me. Pretty crappy playing.

Special note: There are no modulators or LFO yet, all the strange things happen when filter is grossly overdriven with complex waveforms. There are a lot of things happening with osc sync (with adjustable trigger level) and ring modulator.

And of course everything is direct and unprocessed and dry.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12899984/Knifonium%20vol1.wav

I added two more pictures. You can now see them glow :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/jonte.knif/July212012#slideshow/5807759069018647234

-Jonte

Jonte Knif said:
Finally I got someone with an Mbox to visit me. I repaired some stuff while he played with the synth. Some of the sounds are played by me. Pretty crappy playing.

Great sounds, congrats.
That thing is not only a nice build.

What it is from e.g. 5:37 to 5:46?
Is this from GR1390 inspired noise gen?

WOW-I been dreaming of doin a hybrid like this for years-but its 1% inspiration-99%persperation makin it-so never got round to it
Id love to see how you use vari-mu's in a Moog type ladder filter? Any chance of a schematic?

Id love to get into the situation of posting my own projects here-maybe someday!

cHEERS

v

Back