Tube synth teaser

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically you just replace all transistors in the ladder with vari-mu tubes, and of course I use a tube differential+feedback amp there too. By modulating ladder current from ca 10uA to 10mA I get a wide f range and there is a lot of feedback gain and non linearities available to put the beast into freak mode (as you can hear). Current generator is a solid state affair, no need to use tubes there. And expo converter is totally modern thingy with nice DIP package THAT transistor arrays and temperature compensation.

If you understand how the transistor version works, this is one of the easiest topologies to tubefy, as weird as it may seem. Just perspirate and you will eventually get there.

But still, sorry, as long as I even think about commercializing the thing I can not share the actual schematic. Perhaps later. I will try to choose some module that I could publish in order to show some respect to DIYers here.

-Jonte

So, ring modulator shall it be. I used cheap trannies from Antique electronic supply.

Attachments

• Ring-modulatorrrrr.jpg
    Ring-modulatorrrrr.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 63
Ah yes, I see what you mean-using the semiconductors for that, give frequency stability-not much drift,etc,  with all the sound "difference" being generated in the tube section-I thinkl I see what you mean-a true tube type VCF
I will do some homework and se what I come up with-I thinkl you got lots of peoples minds focused now on furthering the use of tubes in synthesis-Eric Barbours stuff is quirky, I find, too uncontrolable

I wish you the best of luck, with a very exciting commercial project-please keep me informed of its progress-I may even buy one!!!

V

Just looked a bit closer at the pics....this is a synth...truly a synth..If it sounds even alittle bit as good as it looks, Ill buy one.......NOW
Truly a superb piece of engineering!!! Please produce it!!

Well, here are some dirty and dry sounds. I had these in dropbox, but they closed the link for bandwidth limitations. Perhaps that will soon happen to this link too...

http://www.knifaudio.com/pdf/Knifonium%20vol1.wav

-Jonte

I have decided to produce a series of min 3, max 6 units next year. Two are sold already.

And since I'm exceeding the quota on my web page, I put the samples here:

http://soundcloud.com/jonte-knif/knifonium-vol1

-Jonte

Well....no....perhaps 1/30 of the price.

Its pretty compact and light actually. Well, in some ways at least.

I took it to Chartmakers Mastering today to play with friends and to be played by friends. There are samples created by very good player coming next week. It was my turn to be humble when listening to this guy groove like a moose, just the synth and a tapping foot.

The second best moment was when this wizard told me that he liked the keyboard very much. Said that most modern synth keyboards are crap, unfortunately including also M**g's choice. So, basically this means that 16th century materials and methods still rule. Kind of cool. Might this reflect the fact that modern synths are bought by people who actually don't know how to play and don't know what they are missing? Interesting.

This is my last message in this thread and about the synth, I promise.

Knifonium is now in facebook, there are more photos and even some videos. Web page, www.knifonium.com is going to be published later this week.
So, during this thread the project went from 99% hobby to pretty much commercial and therefore does not fit very well here anymore. A small series will be built next year and I already sold three. It is not cheap, but it isn't anything normal either. Seasoned synth freaks told me so :)

Thanks for following.

Jonte

Good news! Nice that it turned out to be more than a personal project  :)

Jonte Knif said:
So, basically this means that 16th century materials and methods still rule.

I've never listened to any Baroque music with synths...  ;D

Latest posts

Back