Tube-Tech CL 1B power transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GabrieleP

Hello folks,
my CL 1B suddenly went off a few days ago and after inspection, I am suspecting the HT section of the power transformer.
Does anyone have had similar experience? How many chances I can get a replacement one from Tube-Tech?
I called the italian distributor, no answer.
Apparently the transformer is built by Dantrafo: from online commercial pictures, it looks so with the new units built these days. Mine has a grey casing, older... unit has years.
If you could share your experience I would be happy to learn.
Thank you very much.
Gabe

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 20
I have replaced power and output transformers on Tube-Tech products in the past.  If I recall correctly the power xfmr was water damage and the output had failed on the primary (B+) side.  An email to Tube-Tech was all it took to order replacements.

gyraf said:
if you're an authorized service place, you can get the spare part from TubeTec

Hi! Thanks for your reply. No, I am an audio engineer. I wrote to Tube-Tech five days ago but so far didn't get a reply. Hopefully sometimes soon... I also wrote to Dantrafo.

Best regards, Gabe

pucho812 said:
It’s less common to have a power transformer go out then other parts. Are you certain it’s the power transformer?
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I am 99.99% positive... The transformer has six secondaries, wired in pairs. If you look at the picture attached to my thread start (sorry for the rotation), counting from the bottom pin with all wires unsoldered I measured:

pin 1 - pin 2: 16.4V
pin 3 - pin 4: 16.4V
pin 5 - pin 6: 148V
pin 7 - pin 8: 16.4V
pin 9 - pin 10: 16.4V
pin 11 - pin 12: 148V

Pin 1 is linked to pin 7. Pins 2 & 8 go to the TE 130-43 sidechain board for the 17V (after D9)

Pins 3 & 4 are paralleled to pins 9 & 10, and go to the TE100-41 amp+psu board for the 12V (after D2)

Pin 5 is linked to pin 11. Pins 6 & 12 go to TE100-41 as well for the 270V and 240V (after D1)

I went with an ohmmeter and checked correct continuity between 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 7 & 8, 9 & 10. Unfortunately I had continuity allover pins 5, 6, 11 & 12.

I am not so technical but I think my diagnosis is correct. You confirm?

Regards, Gabe

mjrippe said:
I have replaced power and output transformers on Tube-Tech products in the past.  If I recall correctly the power xfmr was water damage and the output had failed on the primary (B+) side.  An email to Tube-Tech was all it took to order replacements.

Hello and thanks to you as well. As mentioned earlier, a few days ago I wrote to Tube-Tech. No reply yet.

Best, Gabe

Back