Tubed Project Power Supply - Example

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

I promised, in the thread on Black Market about the power supply board I'm offering as a group puirchase, to do a worked example. The schematic is HERE; please refer to that for part and pin references. Get a cup of coffee before you start, 'cause this took longer than I expected.

Say the project is a small, Champ-class guitar amplifier. (It could as easily be a compressor or EQ or whatever.) Let's define what we want:

B+1: Output tube plate - 280V 38.5mA
B+2: Output tube screen - 262V 4.25mA
B+3: Driver tube - 200V 0.45mA
B+4: Input tube - 172V 0.45mA plus 1mA into bleeder resistor

We'll do cascaded filtering, 1 feeds 2 feeds 3 feeds 4. So we will use J6, not J5. We'll use a standard star ground, so we'll install J2-4, and connect the grounds for the various audio stages to G1-4. For the moment, we will ignore how we get B+1 to the right voltage and simply do the other stages.

Cumulatively, here's what each stage is carrying:

B+!: 280V 44.55mA (includes draw of B+2, B+3, B+4 and bleeder)
B+2: 262V 6.15mA (includes draw of B+3, B+4 and bleeder)
B+3: 200V 1.9mA (includes draw of B+4 and bleeder)
B+4: 172V 1.45mA (includes draw of bleeder)
Fil: 62V 1mA (part of bleeder string - used for elevating filament winding to cut down hum)

Okay, now we can calculate the resistors using the voltage drops between the pins:

(B+1) - (B+2) = 18V; divide by 6.15mA and you get R9 = 2927 ohms. Use 3k; this resistor will dissipate (6.15)^2 x 3000 = 0.113W

(B+2) - (B+3) = 62V; divide by 1.9mA and you get about R10 = 32.6k. Use 33k; it will dissipate 0.119W.

(B+3) - (B+4) = 28V; divide by 1.45mA and you get R11 = 19.3k. Use 20k; this resistor will dissipate 0.042W. (The dissipation is so small that you could use a 1/4W 1% resistor, 19.1k, and be closer to the ideal value.)

(B+4) - (Fil) = 110V; divide by 1mA and you get R12 = 110k; dissipation = 0.11W.

So it looks like you could use half-watt resistors for everything with plenty of safety margin. The board has room for up to 5W resistors.

What about the big electrolytics? Despite what the book says, I've found that an 80uF 450V cap as the first filter capacitor after a 6X4 rectifier tube works just fine; at least, there's been one in my Kalamazoo amp since before I bought it, and I've been chugging away on it for four years without wearing out a 6X4. So let's use that. Well, 82uF if you want to get technical. I like the Panasonic TSHB series, high reliability and a 105 degree rating.

What will the ripple be like? There's a useful ripple calculator HERE. It requires you to enter the capacitance and the equivalent load resistance. The latter is the voltage at B+1 divided by the total current draw, or 280V/0.0445A, or 6285 ohms. (Note that the calculator wants you to enter this in kohms!) We also need the peak input voltage; for the moment, let's just call that 282V, which will give us a final output of about 280V, and a ripple of about 1.3V.

[Does that seem high? The output transformer is about 35:1, so even if the whole ripple voltage appeared across the primary -- which it won't -- it would get stepped down to about 37mV at the speaker terminals, or about 38dB below the 1W level. For a guitar amp that's pretty reasonable.]

Let's make the other three caps 47uF. That size doesn't appear in the TSHB series, but there's a 47uF 400V cap in the TSHA series, also good. How much will they reduce ripple? The formula for ripple reduction in a 60Hz power system is:

Reduction = 1 / (240 x pi x R x C)

where R is in ohms and C is in farads. (For 50Hz power, change 240 to 200.)

For B+2, R = 3k and C = 47uF; ripple will be reduced by a factor of .00941x. So the ripple on the screen is 1.3 x .0094 = 12.2mV.

For B+3, R = 33k and C = 47uF, so ripple is further reduced by .000855x, to about 10.5uV.

And for B+4, R = 20k and C = 47uF, so ripple is further reduced by .00141x, to about 14.8nV. For reference, that's about -154dBu. Cascaded RC filters are powerful gadgets.

That's about it, except that we need to get B+1 up to 282V in the first place. With a 6X4 it's pretty simple; look at the chart in the RCA manual, and you find that for about 45mA draw you want a transformer with something like 260-0-260V on its plate winding, and indeed the Kalamazoo has a tranny of 262-0-262V. Nice when theory and practice come together. In that instance, you'd leave out all the solid-state stuff, and the snubbers, and indeed everything from R8 on leftward. The 6X4 would connect directly to the B+1 terminal.

If you wanted to use solid-state diodes, you could use a tranny with 210-0-210V. That'd give you about 297V, minus 2.5V for the diode drops, or 294.5V. A 270 ohm resistor at R8 will drop it down to about 282V, but that resistor will dissipate about 0.53W. It's a 2W resistor, so it can take it, but you should probably mount R8 half an inch or so above the board for cooling's sake. Or use a smaller resistor (say, 100 ohms) and live with a slightly higher voltage.

With a full-wave center-tapped arrangement, you'd use R1-R2 and C1-C2 for snubbers; you'd ignore C3, which is for a full-wave bridge arrangement. For information on how to calculate snubber values, see Jim Hagerman's article HERE.

The bypass capacitors could be 0.1uF/630V or 0.1uF/400V Panasonic ECQ-P polypropylenes. The snubber caps could be Epcot MKPs or 1kV ceramic discs.

That's a quick tour of how you'd fill in the blanks in the power supply parts list for a typical project. Well, fairly quick.

Peace,
Paul

Er, correction. Make that 68uF that the Kal has been cruising on for years. Memory is such a fickle thing... :oops:

So we'll use that for C4, a 68uF 400V TSHA series. The rest remains the same. With solid-state diodes I'd go ahead and do the 82uF.

Peace,
Paul

Hey Paul- where was this a week ago when I was tearing into a tube power supply i'm re-designing for about the 4th time now... :wink:

I'm just getting some confidence about the math here... your rundown is helpful, a great reference-head check... I still feel a bit unsure by the time I'm into the 3rd or 4rth stage.

I have a couple of Q.s though.

So you are getting the tube loads off the datasheet curves right?

do you figure these loads based on the maximum's that the datasheet has has listed for the given tube, some kind of slightly high safe average, an old rule-of thumb?

I pretty much never dip below half watt resistors on tube stuff, but the resistor dissapation you calculate means that you could use 1/4 watts and not blow em No?
or is there also a rule of thumb. :thumb: regarding actual dissapation vs. rated dissapation like the rating should always be X*the calculated dissapation or something?

Thanks
Kelly

Good run-through of power supply design.

Just to be contrary:

> a ripple of about 1.3V. ... Does that seem high?

No. It smacks of New-Think. 0.5% ripple??? You'd save a lot of money with a more-sane figure like 5%, even 2%. Not clean enough? As you say, "Cascaded RC filters are powerful gadgets", a darn sight more effective than a single monster cap.

Indeed, before really cheap electrolytics, you wudda used 8uFd, a choke, and another 8uFd.

> about 38dB below the 1W level. For a guitar amp that's pretty reasonable

ASSuming 96dB SPL 1W sensitivity, it is 96-38= 58dB SPL, which is far above the Fletcher Munson curve. You get away with it in guitar only because many guitar cabs have really poor bass response.

(Also of course because a Pentode output stage may only drop 10% of ripple across the transformer, and later Champs featured a little NFB.)

> use a tranny with 210-0-210V. That'd give you about 297V, minus 2.5V for the diode drops, or 294.5V.

FWIW, I'm cooking a plan with a 215VAC winding, 1N4007, 100uFd, 66mA, and getting (in simulation) 250-275VDC. Depends a lot on the assumed winding resistance.

> you could use a 1/4W 1% resistor, 19.1k, and be closer to the ideal value.

20K, 19K, 19.1K..... what is the difference???? Tube work is all +/-20% at best. And any tube circuit which won't work fine with +/-30% variation has problems.

> (B+1) - (B+2) = ... Use 3k ....this resistor will dissipate ... 0.113W

Note that at start-up, B+1 rises to 280V while B+2 is held to zero by a 47uFd cap. For an instant, this resistor has nearly 280V across it, and absorbs 26 Watts. After 0.14 seconds it will be down to 3.55 watts; after 0.28 seconds it is 0.49 Watts. Resistors will take large surges, but officially the rating is generally 10 times the long term rating. That suggests a 3 Watt resistor, even though the running heat is only 0.113 watts. I'm thinking 1W wire-wound or 2W carbon-comp.

PRR brings up yet another rule of thumb I don't know-

FWIW, I'm cooking a plan with a 215VAC winding, 1N4007, 100uFd, 66mA, and getting (in simulation) 250-275VDC. Depends a lot on the assumed winding resistance.

I'm using Duncan's tube PSU simulator and I already have my trafo. I'm just taking a straight resistance measurement-no load, no power.
Plugging this number in to the simulator for winding resistance value.
Yes-No :?:

Kelly

:thumb: one rule of thumb out of the way... thanks for the resistor rating explanofication.

makes sense to me... the simulator shows those surges. how exactly to innoculate against them without going totally overboard are the things it's nice to know about. not that diy-ing these things isn't a totally overboard process to begin with but...
Thanks
K

[quote author="Sleeper"]

So you are getting the tube loads off the datasheet curves right?

do you figure these loads based on the maximum's that the datasheet has has listed for the given tube, some kind of slightly high safe average, an old rule-of thumb?[/quote]

No, I'm getting the tube loads based on what the original amplifier actually does, as measured on my good ol' Kalamazoo Model 1.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="PRR"]Just to be contrary:

> a ripple of about 1.3V. ... Does that seem high?

No. It smacks of New-Think. 0.5% ripple??? You'd save a lot of money with a more-sane figure like 5%, even 2%. Not clean enough? As you say, "Cascaded RC filters are powerful gadgets", a darn sight more effective than a single monster cap.

Indeed, before really cheap electrolytics, you wudda used 8uFd, a choke, and another 8uFd. [/quote]

Indeed. The Kal used 20uF and that was it. 10uF for succeeding stages.

> about 38dB below the 1W level. For a guitar amp that's pretty reasonable

ASSuming 96dB SPL 1W sensitivity, it is 96-38= 58dB SPL, which is far above the Fletcher Munson curve. You get away with it in guitar only because many guitar cabs have really poor bass response.

(Also of course because a Pentode output stage may only drop 10% of ripple across the transformer, and later Champs featured a little NFB.)

Quite true.

> use a tranny with 210-0-210V. That'd give you about 297V, minus 2.5V for the diode drops, or 294.5V.

Yes, it does; I was just giving a ballpark figure.

> (B+1) - (B+2) = ... Use 3k ....this resistor will dissipate ... 0.113W

Note that at start-up, B+1 rises to 280V while B+2 is held to zero by a 47uFd cap. For an instant, this resistor has nearly 280V across it, and absorbs 26 Watts. After 0.14 seconds it will be down to 3.55 watts; after 0.28 seconds it is 0.49 Watts. Resistors will take large surges, but officially the rating is generally 10 times the long term rating. That suggests a 3 Watt resistor, even though the running heat is only 0.113 watts. I'm thinking 1W wire-wound or 2W carbon-comp.

:oops: Yeah, Paul now opens mouth and removes foot. I haven't blown a resistor yet, but that's mostly because I always over-over-specify them. I left room for a 5W wirewound sand-cast resistor on the board, and in practice that's what I almost always use. Or I'll use a tubed rectifier, which rises slowly enough that the following later stages of the cascaded supply keep up. But I'll still way over-specify the resistors.

:oops: again.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back