Tuchel Female Connector Socket Removal?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McIrish

20240716_120533.jpg20240716_124150.jpg

I have an original U67 cable and I need to replace the actual cable. I got new cable from both Gotham and Sommer. Both are excellent BTW. Question is, can the sockets on the female Tuchel be removed? Is there some extraction tool needed? The sockets are set into the connector so trying to just solder onto them will be difficult. Has anyone had to work with these before?

I worked on a few of these.
As far as I know they are not set into the connector. There is just shrink tubes around them and the wires. Cut cable where the wires come out and you can probably remove the shrink tubes with some pliers and then desolder the old wires.

Or are you afraid to touch the plastic part with the solder iron? The plastic is pretty heat resistant and you can solder from the “inside” so you will not get in contact too long. It’s a little bit of a hassle to solder these connectors but it’s definitely doable without removing the pins.

Thank you Murdock. That helps.
Wiring up Gotham GAC-7 cable. My best guess is that the larger wires should be for the heater. It doesn't appear that GAC-7 has any twisted pair for the audio lines so I could use any two wires for that.

Is the original cable in such a bad state that it has to be replaced ? Why not just shorten it a bit ? This Belden made is much better quality than the ones you bought . Having made both (vintage cables redone or new Gotham/sommercable) the mecanical construction of both GAC7 and Sommercable is poor compared to the belden and i am quite confident that it has as least same if not better electrical properties aswell. Even redone in 2024 the Belden made will last longer. If not convinced you can make a simple test : take a little portion of 10cm between your fingers and try to twist the cable longitudinaly . You will noticed that the Belden is nearly impossible to twist where both Gotham and Sommercable (the worst) have poor mecanical resistance, year after year it will end to a bad shilding. The amount and arrangement of wire in the shield is also much superior in the Belden. At least do not trash it , clean it and conserve it for the future. And also note that changing the cable will lead to recalibration of the PSU.

Last edited:
The owner of the cable hates the Belden. Too stiff, kinks easily and too short. So I was asked to replace it with longer Gotham cable.

Back