U-67 connector?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nielsk

I have a U-67 on the bench that came from the junk closet of a broadcast facility, with no cable.
Does anyone know what connector is used in the mic? It looks like it may be a Binder, having round pins rather than the flat pins of the earlier Tuchels as used on U-47s.
I am hoping I can obtain the connector to fit.

If I remember correctly, It's a special made one made for Neumann.

You can find something very close, but the notch is in a different position, so you need to modify it.

You might call up corporate (Lyme office in US), and see if you can get just the connector, it has been possible in the past. Make sure to say you have an actual Neumann in front of you.
Neumann USA are generally pretty helpful. When dealing with any manufacturer I have found that having the exact model and serial number is helpful. API for example requires this info to get replacement 2520s, due to all the clones.

Thanks for the replies, it is encouraging to see the connectors are in current production and they are being used to build replacement cables.
GeorgeToledo when you mention " corporate (Lyme office in US)" what are you referring to exactly?

nielsk, I’m sorry, that was a regrettable case of being USA-centric without realizing it during the moment.

The Neumann distributor contacts are listed here:

https://en-de.neumann.com/distributors
In each case, contacting these options directly is the typical recourse for obtaining parts.

If you are in the US, you will see a Sennheiser contact located in Old Lyme. I might just pick up the phone and call. That said, I have also waded through the Sennheiser Service Portal and had great help that way as well. I seem to remember the options not exactly fitting what I needed one of the times using the portal, but I picked a close fit and wrote in extra notes. The turnaround to get an email back was a few days to a week or so. I think some of the delay was from Sennheiser contacting Neumann for some info and pricing on an unlisted part.

I think the general procedure is similar around the world, whatever local distribution office handles it.

I have a pair of those connectors, one male one female, the flat three pin version ,
Might be possible to convert if you can source the 7 pin phenolic insert from Neuman or somewhere else .conn.jpg

exactly like these but with a black outer housing .

Last edited:
note that the u67 connector has a unique keyway to prevent using the cable from a different mike. If you get the regular Binder/Tuchel connector, you'll need to chuck the insert into a mill or drill press and create that extra keyway.

The metal parts themselves are identical to the pictures of the U67 connectors I see posted. The rotation of the pins in both male and female plug is defined by the keyway on the phenolic , either way you could easily use a small round file to create the notch in the right place if you needed to .

note that the u67 connector has a unique keyway to prevent using the cable from a different mike. If you get the regular Binder/Tuchel connector, you'll need to chuck the insert into a mill or drill press and create that extra keyway.
That is exactly what Neumann did for the reissue of the U67!

he has the stuff ,

https://www.studioelectronics.biz/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=175
In another page I found a user who recomended filling the original guide slot with epoxy to prevent any chance of a false mating of the connector , good plan .

You also might need to think about cable if you havent got some already , lots of dedicated tube mic cables out there these days , I've used the Gotham 7 conductor tube mic cable , * the heavier gauge conductors are always used on the heater supply*.

This might be a better bet with no messing around even though it ships out of Germany,

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/401223149643

Latest posts

Back