U87 (Revision A) in BM800 microphone donor body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does "analog way" involve using a hammer, or hacksaw, or .... any large power tool? :) James
I also love power tools, but this time, due to a miswiring, I created a simple bypass wiring. It looks beautiful when I'm enjoying a beer.

Attachments

• 20231017_221806~01.jpg
    20231017_221806~01.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231017_221633~01.jpg
    20231017_221633~01.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 3
I created a simple bypass wiring. It looks beautiful when I'm enjoying a beer.

Great - I will drink to that !! James

PS - I confess I have done that same sort of bypass repair - once when I accidentally drilled a mounting hole through a back side signal trace, so I installed a wire jumper and pretended it was supposed to be that way. A man must do what a man must do. JHR

I would like to make one correction. It's regarding saying that the sound of this microphone is close to the S87. As I used this microphone to listen to my voice, I noticed that it produces an entirely different sound. The subtle saturation created by the transformer and the 60V gain are powerful. I really like this microphone!

TadS

I would like to make one correction. It's regarding saying that the sound of this microphone is close to the S87. As I used this microphone to listen to my voice, I noticed that it produces an entirely different sound. The subtle saturation created by the transformer and the 60V gain are powerful. I really like this microphone!

TadS
with Ari's capsule it will sound even better I think :)
I'm thinking about doing this build as my first..

@ Mr. Fuchs: Are there still PCBs left? Somehow I can't write you a PM, probably because I'm so new to the forum

@ Mr. Fuchs: Are there still PCBs left? Somehow I can't write you a PM, probably because I'm so new to the for! I agree with that sentiment too! The Arienne audio capsule and Mr. Fuchs' PCB seem like the best possible DIY U87ai options. Wishing you success with your build!

@ Mr. Fuchs: Are there still PCBs left? Somehow I can't write you a PM, probably because I'm so new to the forum
Hi!
I agree with that too! The Arienne audio capsule and Mr. Fuchs' PCB seem like the best possible DIY U87ai options. Wishing you success with your build!

TadS

I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread, but I'm wondering if anyone recommend a good source of finding the Styro caps recommended by the BOM in the US? Or, alternatively those of you who've built this mic, what have you used? Seems like I can't find the right values readily available.

1x 160pF 500V 5%
1x 270pF 300V 5%
2x 470pF 100V 2.5%

Still trying to learn all this … so in general, if you’re pretty close in values, it’s gonna “be fine” ? :)

Still trying to learn all this … so in general, if you’re pretty close in values, it’s gonna “be fine” ? :)
150pF with 5% tolerance means at minim 142.5pF
In the de-emphasis network 15..20pF can make audible differences. The tolerances of the components, capsule, headbasket, etc. add up and may sound different than what you want.
That's why you need more capacitor values

150pF with 5% tolerance means at minim 142.5pF
In the de-emphasis network 15..20pF can make audible differences. The tolerances of the components, capsule, headbasket, etc. add up and may sound different than what you want.
That's why you need more capacitor values
Have you evaluated in a real scenario, this change? I did (150 vs 160 pf), and at 46 years old, I couldn't tell, maybe my ears are too old.

Have you evaluated in a real scenario, this change? I did (150 vs 160 pf), and at 46 years old, I couldn't tell, maybe my ears are too old.

I put 220pF in a microphone. Capsule Takstar. I didn't like it, it was a bit shiny. I added a 50pF capacitor in parallel. It already seemed more distant to me, unsuitable for the lead voice, it lacked some excitement, it didn't inspire me.
I looked for smaller values (on the dso-tc3 ) capacitor for those marked 220pF and 50pF.
The total sum which I liked and flattered my voice was 253pF.
A small detail made the difference, I spent an hour singing with pleasure and imitating different voices.
I noticed that with the more tonally balanced capsules, the effect is more accentuated, with the shiny ones, for noticeable differences, you need big differences between the capacitors.

I use a trick: in addition to the voice, I also test the tone on the acoustic guitar, it is much easier to notice the most subtle nuances.

I put 220pF in a microphone. Capsule Takstar. I didn't like it, it was a bit shiny. I added a 50pF capacitor in parallel. It already seemed more distant to me, unsuitable for the lead voice, it lacked some excitement, it didn't inspire me.
I looked for smaller values (on the dso-tc3 ) capacitor for those marked 220pF and 50pF.
The total sum which I liked and flattered my voice was 253pF.
A small detail made the difference, I spent an hour singing with pleasure and imitating different voices.
I noticed that with the more tonally balanced capsules, the effect is more accentuated, with the shiny ones, for noticeable differences, you need big differences between the capacitors.

I use a trick: in addition to the voice, I also test the tone on the acoustic guitar, it is much easier to notice the most subtle nuances.
Yes I also like to use acoustic steel string guitar as my main test instrument. Its rich harmonics make it more appropiate for my ears to judge these small differences.

Last edited:
Yes I also like to use acoustic steel string guitar as my main test instrument. Its rich harmonics make it more appropiate foe my ears to judge these small differences.
I use headphones for this, generally Superlux 681 which have very accentuate highs, not flat studio monitors

Attachments

• 1708820863092_1708820891576.jpg
    1708820863092_1708820891576.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
For those of you who've built this mic & have a Sphere DLX or Sphere L22 ... how does it compare? That's the main "good" mic I have and I just wonder if I were to spend the $ to build one of these would I notice a significant difference/improvement. When singing, I've liked the U87 modern model from the Sphere software. It's also nice to blend in some ribbon mic model with my km84 clone when recording upright bass. But, it would be a lot more convenient to be able to use a LDC and SDC from the same UAD Apollo instead of having to have the Apollo dedicated for the Sphere and use a separate interface for my SDC mic on the fingerboard.

Hi Fgarde,

there are still few PCBs left from the initial order. May just take a bit longer now, as currently I'm out of town. So 1-2 weeks until I'm back ...

BR
Michael
If there's still one available, it's one to buy it from you! If so, please send me a PM!

Latest posts

Back