U87 (Revision A) in BM800 microphone donor body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @mihi_fuchs !

Really appreciate your build, first time project and using mixing pay to buy capsules, some mic bodies and trasnformers. The BOM on the main thread for u87 build seems to have discontinued products, so this seems like a great alternative!

Could you just clarify on the quantity of the styroflex 270pf and the 160pf?

I hope these fit inside of a Behringer B2... ! That's thedonor body of choice for me right now

now to wait half an eternity for the backlog issues to sort themselves out...

Hi @mihi_fuchs !

Really appreciate your build, first time project and using mixing pay to buy capsules, some mic bodies and trasnformers. The BOM on the main thread for u87 build seems to have discontinued products, so this seems like a great alternative!

Could you just clarify on the quantity of the styroflex 270pf and the 160pf?

I hope these fit inside of a Behringer B2... ! That's thedonor body of choice for me right now

now to wait half an eternity for the backlog issues to sort themselves out...
Hi Ostrol,

I just updated the BOM with the numbers (see dropbox link). It's 1 piece each for the styros ...

I think the Behringer B2 should be a bit bigger than the BM800, so should at least fit in - but I never tried ... Maybe if you try, just post here, if it is an alternative ;-) ...

Thanks for the hint with the BOM :),
Cheers
Michael

Finished mine yesterday. Lucikly, I had about half the components on hand. Found a 2n3819 with an IDSS around 6.25. Used the 3u transformer, which I'm starting to really like a lot because of how clean it sounds. Even with a cheap, garbage testing capsule inside it still sounds great. Super, super low noise. Extremely quiet. Video coming in a few days. This is a really awesome project. Thanks again, Michael!

IMG_4476.jpgIMG_4474.jpgIMG_4473.jpg

Last edited:

https://tinyurl.com/mr2k5uwh (try this link if embed window doesn't work)

Really love this mic. This is the kind of project I got into DIY for. This video drops tomorrow morning, but I thought I'd give the group an early sneak peek.

Wow, really cool! Thanks a lot. I'm more than happy that you enjoy the microphone and love the idea that you may use it on real takes ...
Also it is really nice you mention the GDIY - really love the help and support you get in here! Even without - the information within the threads would be worth spending years in here ... :) ...
Thanks for your time and effort in making the video - hope the mic pays you back with Gigs of good recording material!!!!
Best wishes
Mike

Hi,

if you are using the tantalum capacitor for C8 in this built, you require following orientation:
polarity_C8.jpg

Sorry for any confusion, but you can still go with the WIMA film alternative too (no orientation required).
Hope that helps,
Best regards,
Michael

Finished my one the other day. Such a fun build! My first mic project ever. Hopefully the first of many to come.
Really appreciate Michael’s work on this and he’s a super friendly and helpful guy.

I chose a Maiku K87 capsule and a 3U Audio transformer.
Made a version of the capsule holder to fit a Maiku capsule with the BM-700. Lowered it a bit as well. If anyone wants the STL file just let me know.

The mic sounds great! Not very bright (which seems to be the case from what I’ve read reg. Maiku) but takes EQ really well.

U87_Mini_Full (kopia).jpg
U87_Mini_Front (kopia).jpg
U87_Mini_Back (kopia).jpg

Finished my one the other day. Such a fun build! My first mic project ever. Hopefully the first of many to come.
Really appreciate Michael’s work on this and he’s a super friendly and helpful guy.

I chose a Maiku K87 capsule and a 3U Audio transformer.
Made a version of the capsule holder to fit a Maiku capsule with the BM-700. Lowered it a bit as well. If anyone wants the STL file just let me know.

The mic sounds great! Not very bright (which seems to be the case from what I’ve read reg. Maiku) but takes EQ really well.

View attachment 94147
View attachment 94148
View attachment 94149
Great work!

I like the look of your donor mic body, would you mind posting a link to where you got them from please?

thanks

Ross

Thanks!

I bought it from here:
https://www.elektronik-star.de/Soun...ne-Windschutz-XLR-silber-Silber-e-star-1.html
When it comes to the body tube, there was a happy accident. I tried to gently remove their silkscreen logo with acetone, but the silver paint immediately disappeared so I started to polish the whole thing and I think the chrome look turned out really cool. I left the bottom part and the grille with the silver paint.

This was my very first mic build (I never soldered before) and I would like to publicly thank Michael for is kind support and for sharing his wonderful project! He is a very kind person. I had a really great time in reading the thread and studying circuit and components and I'm super happy with the result. I use the mic for recording my classical guitar in real acoustics, generally little churches, and it works really great: it's silent, sensitive and very detailed. A little bit dark in the upper highs - I've used the Maiku k87 - but I like it and it takes eq very well as @soulitude wrote in the thread. Mids and lows are perfect for my needs.
I hope you enjoy some pictures and I promise I'll provide some recordings in the next weeks.
Un saluto a tutta la community!

Gabriele

Attachments

• 20220523_230159.jpg
    20220523_230159.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220523_230207.jpg
    20220523_230207.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220523_230219.jpg
    20220523_230219.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220523_230258.jpg
    20220523_230258.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 24
This was my very first mic build (I never soldered before) and I would like to publicly thank Michael for is kind support and for sharing his wonderful project! He is a very kind person. I had a really great time in reading the thread and studying circuit and components and I'm super happy with the result. I use the mic for recording my classical guitar in real acoustics, generally little churches, and it works really great: it's silent, sensitive and very detailed. A little bit dark in the upper highs - I've used the Maiku k87 - but I like it and it takes eq very well as @soulitude wrote in the thread. Mids and lows are perfect for my needs.
I hope you enjoy some pictures and I promise I'll provide some recordings in the next weeks.
Un saluto a tutta la community!

Gabriele

Hi Gabriele this looks great!

Where did you get your donor body from, would you mind posting a link?

Thanks, Ross

Back