UAD Spark

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

Got an email in my inbox about UAD spark. I guess it was just a matter of time before they went native.

Subscription pricing model. Apparently you will have any UAD2 plugins you own made available in a native format (UADx) with a perpetual license. That’s kinda neat.

Last edited:
Ah, that's what it is... I didn't even click the link as I thought it was a new DAW or something.... a lot of things are going to the "subscription" based format... It could be cost effective for some people to "rent" things during a project I suppose.

I got that e-mail too. I likewise just deleted it, figuring it was probably a lite version of LUNA or something like that. Shoulda read it. Rybow, I'm glad you posted this thread! The subscription-based service actually sounds pretty cool, and being able to run my UAD-powered plugins during mixdown without my Apollo connected sounds REALLY cool.

I didn't see the pricing, but while I'm sure it'll be cheaper than outright buying UA plugins it'll still be quite expensive. If Universal Audio made paper cups, they'd cost $10 each.

But they'd be hand made in the USA paper cups of the finest wax and stock. lol

$150 / year or $20/mo. Right now they only have a handful of plugins available natively. (they happen to be some of the ones I use the most).
The ATR 102 will be coming around at some point as their servers accidentally delivered a license for it to my ilok account. (its not currently available natively).

I initially thought that it was another interface in the same realm as the Volt, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. I also like that they didn’t forget about their UAD2 customers. Free perpetual native license for any plugs you own (minus the ones that come bundled)

I don’t mind these subscription programs. Cheap access to a whole schwack of tools. The only program I like better is Apogee’s rent to own. Only because at the end you actually own the license.

I have no idea why people would buy these subscription model services. I will never, ever buy anything with that model. Plugins are a bad investment as is. The good news is that it leaves an opening for talented independent developers.

Speaking of which, you guys should check out Fircomp from JonVaudio. It is hands down the best plug-in compressor I've used, and the only one that reminds me of using my hardware. I rarely reach for anything else these days, even though I own lots of uad etc.

PS, version 1 of the plug is completely free.

I have no idea why people would buy these subscription model services. I will never, ever buy anything with that model. Plugins are a bad investment as is. The good news is that it leaves an opening for talented independent developers.
Im not huge on the subscription model, but in certain contexts it makes sense. Plugin Alliance is a good example, i think. Paying a flat monthly fee to have access to every plugin they make, especially when they are always releasing new plugs doesnt seem like a bad deal to me. The UA offerings are still a bit too thin in what they are offering to be worthwhile IMO, and slate doesnt release enough new stuff to be worthwhile either, but I think PA does it right.

PA just released a new subscription approach, ends up being about $30 a month and you get to BUY 1 plugin a month with nothing blacklisted...since there's really no code difference between most of these vendors switching to this model for a few months and picking up Shadow Hills Mastering and BX stuff is kinda a no brainer for me...I've been weaning myself off of all subscriptions gradually...it adds up, Netflix/Hulu/PA/Kush/Disney/HBO/SSL/Gobbler/Avid/AOL/...jk...but it does add up...

I was on the Mix and Master sub but found I was only using 4-5 out of the many-many they bundled...with the new subscription model I'll buy a handful and can cancel at any time...

I do prefer the smaller shop plugin vendors though...Tokyo Dawn and DMG make some of the very best out there and are actually quite reasonably priced....

I checked out the Fircomp2 but I already own DMG Track Comp and TDR's stuff...besides all the waves and UAD I've collected over the years...it is a nice plugin but its too much like Trackcomp for me to buy it.

It's strange they're making the plugins native, the only thing that avoided pirates from cracking the plugins was the need for the Satellites or proprietary hardware.
I think from now on it will be just a matter of time for UAD plugins to being cracked like it happens with Waves and most other bundles

Purely speculation, but one has to imagine that UA has a lot more to gain by making their product a LOT more accessible than they have to lose by keeping it hardware locked in attempt to keep pirates out(which only kind of worked, as someone managed to crack the plugins, but it still required the hardware to run it, iirc)

Really, did that happen?
I was not aware of that
I saw a youtube video of someone demonstrating it several months ago, and it seemed legit. However, i didnt investigate further as I dont own UAD hardware, or have any interest in using cracked plugs.

I saw a youtube video of someone demonstrating it several months ago, and it seemed legit. However, i didnt investigate further as I dont own UAD hardware, or have any interest in using cracked plugs.
There is a scam going around on U-tubless where the scammer convinces you that he can unlock ALL UAD plugins...except he requires you to give him your device info, which is actually a little bit like giving him your routing number to your bank..I think what happens is they add your device to a UAD group...and at some point UAD will catch it and ban all those devices, so not only will you end up losing your device ID your device will be blocked...it might work for a while but like all pirating it eventually comes back to haunt you.

UAD does make some good plugins...and those are the ones I own, but I stopped believing ALL of their stuff was gold after demo'ing the SSL channel strip...it wasn't worth it to me...

Lots of the early stuff gets over-looked and is still great...the Precision mastering stuff, the EMT 140...and Capitol Chambers is really good...

I ended up with one UADx plugin when they went native...mainly because I refuse to upgrade stuff that they made "legacy" a month after I bought it...the difference in "legacy vs the upgrade" is NOT $149.00 worth of plugin.

I can only say really good things about UAD plugins,
they really went some steps further than other established plugin developers.

They have in my humble opinion by far the best plugin emulations in the game,
I can only highly recommend them.

I have 2 satellites (a quad and an Octo) and it works great for me

I am not totally surprised they went native. The average users computer power these days is pretty great, and should be able to handle a good amount of plugs.
UA has released quite a few products now with a focus on the prosumer market. Pick up a Volt interface, SD-1 mic and a spark subscription for less than a $1000.

I agree about subscriptions and the quality o UAD plugins...some of this stuff is kinda under-the-radar in my opinion...the Helios 69 is an incredible plugin/unison pre...the Fender twin guitar amp and Capitol Chambers are also some of the best out there.

Greg Wells recently started doing a lot more tracking ITB with his Apollo stuff and his console and analog gear is probably second to none...its just incredibly fast to get a good sound quickly and move on even if it requires and expensive DSP dongle...
I have a few of the spark plugins because of hardware...so far I am unimpressed with the CPU hit...Waves and many others seem better optimized here...I'll just keep using the DSP versions for now.

so far I am unimpressed with the CPU hit...Waves and many others seem better optimized here...

But the thing is that Waves plugins at least in terms of Emulations of vintage gear are much inferior to UAD.
I have all the Waves plugins and the emulations are very weak.
Also the code is much simpler.

UAD is high quality, the way they do the emulations is very complex and the code is intricate, that's why they're so good sounding.
Too have good quality you need processing power

Is there a cheapish hardware (DSP) way into UAD plugs for say, an old mac pro 2010 running Yosemite OSX10.10

The UAD pci card would have been ideal I guess, but not sure if legacy setups will even work with/without transfer etc . ..

Latest posts

Back