UAD Spark

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the thing is that Waves plugins at least in terms of Emulations of vintage gear are much inferior to UAD.
I have all the Waves plugins and the emulations are very weak.
Also the code is much simpler.

UAD is high quality, the way they do the emulations is very complex and the code is intricate, that's why they're so good sounding.
Too have good quality you need processing power
I agree...sometimes I just need a plugin to "spank" the audio signal...not a sexual thing...just a bit of herding frequencies...I have a LOT of the Waves stuff, but like you seldom reach for it...but fast and dirty Waves gets used.

Honestly the stuff I use most frequently from Waves is the oldest code they have, the Renaissance stuff is still very good plugins in my opinion...

The UAD DSP stuff is still what I use the most, even when I do have Spark versions.

I've been mixing too long to let CPU hits be an issue...thats old school training and there are tons of work-arounds.

Honestly the stuff I use most frequently from Waves is the oldest code they have, the Renaissance stuff is still very good plugins in my opinion...

The Renaissance Axx is one of my favourite dynamic controllers plugins ever.
I use it probably in all my mixes mostly on Electric and Acoustic guitars,
It works great and it's very simple to use, just 3 controls, I never even touch the attack control just the TH and Gain.
Most of the Waves plugins I like and use are Waves original stuff, like the Rbass or the CLA Vocals, I think those are great.
But when it comes to emulations of vintage gear Waves plugins are not that good and I never use them, just compare the UAD emulations of the 1176 and the LA2A to the ones from Waves and you will know what I mean, you will never use the Waves versions after that.

1.jpg

The Renaissance Axx is one of my favourite dynamic controllers plugins ever.
I use it probably in all my mixes mostly on Electric and Acoustic guitars,
It works great and it's very simple to use, just 3 controls, I never even touch the attack control just the TH and Gain.
Most of the Waves plugins I like and use are Waves original stuff, like the Rbass or the CLA Vocals, I think those are great.
But when it comes to emulations of vintage gear Waves plugins are not that good and I never use them, just compare the UAD emulations of the 1176 and the LA2A to the ones from Waves and you will know what I mean, you will never use the Waves versions after that.

View attachment 95694
I love the Renaissance plugs! Still terrific after all these years...

I agree...sometimes I just need a plugin to "spank" the audio signal...not a sexual thing...just a bit of herding frequencies...I have a LOT of the Waves stuff, but like you seldom reach for it...but fast and dirty Waves gets used.

The UAD DSP stuff is still what I use the most, even when I do have Spark versions.

I've been mixing too long to let CPU hits be an issue...thats old school training and there are tons of work-arounds.
So many issues can be solved with a little spanking from time to time.

I find it hard to justify another subscription right now. Logics plugins have become very usable, and the stuff from Sonimus is great. That being said when I finally get back to making more music I think I’ll give spark a go.

Just received this e-mail from UA:

"UAD Spark is now native Apple M1 Silicon compatible.
Download the UA Connect app and get started with UAD Spark!"

Looking at the specs of the M1, I don't think you'd have to worry about CPU utilization with Spark. Too rich for my blood, though.

Back