UK to EU custom duties

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xazrules

Someone in Europe had bought from UK after brexit? How much are the custom duties? There’s a way to calculate?

cheers

I think some people have had problems with the VAT. The rules have changed and it is now the suppliers responsibility to collect the correct rate of VAT for the country the goods are being sent to. A typical unnecessary complication. The big companies like Thoman, Schaeffer,Digikey, Mouser and Farnell etc have being doing this for a long time so it is no problem for them. However I have heard that some smaller suppliers find this extra complication too much for them.

Having said that, I still ship PCBs all over the world and nobody has ever been charged import duty for them but I don't charge VAT either. If you have problems getting stuff from the UK I am happy to get it for you and post it to you.

Cheers

Ian

I'm in France. I've recently had to pay more than 100 euros of custom taxes & VAT on an order of approx 400 euros worth of vintage spare parts from the 50s, untested, not working... so now I avoid buying in the UK.
I also wanted to send ribbons mics to Xaudia, but that whole extra community VAT numbers for someone who doesn't have a company with the ability to recover VAT at the end of the year is a total blur which leads to extra cost on everything... so I ended up having my mics re ribboned in France.

French customs will basically tax anythings they can if the value of the goods is above 42 euros (IIRC). I really wish I could buy with serenity from the UK, but it feels like a gamble now

Over here it's a crap shoot. I've seen packages come through from outside the EU fast and without customs duty, VAT or handling fees. Other times it's ridiculous, like in Thomas' case.

I once had to pay over a hundred € fees and taxes for three bare replacement PCB's. I would've raised hell, but as I needed them urgently, the company paid. That was long before brexit, mind you.

I think some people have had problems with the VAT. The rules have changed and it is now the suppliers responsibility to collect the correct rate of VAT for the country the goods are being sent to. A typical unnecessary complication. The big companies like Thoman, Schaeffer,Digikey, Mouser and Farnell etc have being doing this for a long time so it is no problem for them. However I have heard that some smaller suppliers find this extra complication too much for them.

Having said that, I still ship PCBs all over the world and nobody has ever been charged import duty for them but I don't charge VAT either. If you have problems getting stuff from the UK I am happy to get it for you and post it to you.

Cheers

Ian
Thank you very much for your kindness Ian, I just need 2 2k4:600 trafo for output stage in Europe, don audio don’t have the edcors, utm don’t have in the catalog and the only one is the carnhill from audio maintenance. With shipping cost to IT is 70 gbp and I’m scared my customs force me to pay dear duties.
So maybe I can ask you here first, if you have 2 said transformers I’d like to buy from you.

Cheers

before the tightening of imports in the EU about 10 to 15 years ago I would buy a lot from US, rather I would using eBay only to buy from the States. Vintage amps, t-shirt, Art Deco etc. now the UK too, can’t wait for a italexit! Thinking to start winding my own trafo at this point I guess

I'm in France. I've recently had to pay more than 100 euros of custom taxes & VAT on an order of approx 400 euros worth of vintage spare parts from the 50s, untested, not working... so now I avoid buying in the UK.
I am not sure I understand this. UK AT is 20% and 20% of 400 is 100 which is what you paid.

Cheers

Ian

Over here it's a crap shoot. I've seen packages come through from outside the EU fast and without customs duty, VAT or handling fees. Other times it's ridiculous, like in Thomas' case.

I once had to pay over a hundred € fees and taxes for three bare replacement PCB's. I would've raised hell, but as I needed them urgently, the company paid. That was long before brexit, mind you.
I agree. A lot depends on where you buy from and the declared amount. What really annoys me is having to pay VAT (value added tax) on shipping costs. What value is added by shipping something???

I used to be able to get Chinese PCB suppliers to declare the value of the goods as $10 but the customs busybodies obviously had a go at them and they refuse to do it any more. As a result UK VAT was payable on PCBs from China and it often cost as much for the shipping agent (DHL) to collect the VAT as the VAT itself, typically adding 40% to the cost. I then moved my PCB sourceing to India and avoided this completely but it appears the VAT was included in the DHL shipping charge which was much higher than the shipping charge from China despite India being closer. Now I buy them from Aisler in Germany and I never get any additional custom charges and their prices are very competitive.

The worst is Edcor transformers. Their shipping charges nearly double the price of their transformers then there is VAT to pay in the UK so they turn out very expensive.

Cheers

Ian
Thank you very much for your kindness Ian, I just need 2 2k4:600 trafo for output stage in Europe, don audio don’t have the edcors, utm don’t have in the catalog and the only one is the carnhill from audio maintenance. With shipping cost to IT is 70 gbp and I’m scared my customs force me to pay dear duties.
So maybe I can ask you here first, if you have 2 said transformers I’d like to buy from you.

Cheers
So you need a couple of VTB2291 transformers? I will see what I have in the workshop.

Cheers

Ian

Yes or the gapped version, i don’t mind. Thank you again!
If you don’t have them, then I’m going to go down the rabbit hole of coils winding..

I wont even look at EBAY UK or US anymore , your buying something second hand , your paying vat on top of shipping + handling fee .On Ebay.de I just pay the price I see plus the 15.99 delivery , and German post always delivers promptly .

What about the IGS guy who's started winding transformers in Poland Xaz , pricing is competitive and you shouldnt see any excess charges at your end .

Yes UTM, I don’t know how to contact them, there is no info on their website and they haven’t the one I need on the catalog. I’d like to buy from them if they can custom wound, at the moment they’re an oasi in the desert for EU customers

Here in Italy since I’ve started buying from the states I had to pay the custom duties on: goods value + shipping + VAT. Out of this world. The exact opposite of globalization.
I’m pretty sure big businesses have a method to elude all this crap. The more the times pass the more I fell chained.

Try contacting member IGS via a personal message on GDIY ,

Apparently things like mobile phones and computer bits are free from import duty , meanwhile they choke supply of components vital to small guys like us . Here in Ireland were on the far western edge of Europe with the UK inbetween , Uk sources were always the go to option for Irish electronics professionals and hobbyists Revenue/Customs/Tax here is now so intrusive it threatens to kill and eat the fledgling golden goose before its even out of the nest .

Is slavery the end game here ? where we all end working from home policing content on social media networks . Why would the kids of today pick up a soldering iron and try and fix something , there used to just tossing stuff in the bin once their finished with it , and these are the generation who are going to turn around global consumption(incl. warming) and save the planet ? Every penny Ireland ever got for roads/infrastructure from the EU , you can bet EU fishing fleets pulled many times the value in fish from our coastal waters and you cant eat ashphalt and stones ,can ya? We have a navy where half our ships are out of commission due to an exodus of staff from the armed services and massively scaled back fishing fleet , if you cant police it and you cant fish it , someone else will .

Then again if we had a bigger fishing fleet , we'd probably be running a whole load more guns , dope and human traffic into europe .

Is slavery the end game here ?
Exactly on point! You’ve robbed words from my mouth! I feel like we’re going to not be allowed to do nothing except what they want us to do. Everything start with small things on small scale that doesn’t resonate in the society until we are completely alienized or narcotized to accept the “new truth” or everything they impose on us without even doubt about it or think about rebellion, as you can see this behavior in new generations or look into their apathetic eyes to see.

I am not sure I understand this. UK AT is 20% and 20% of 400 is 100 which is what you paid.

Cheers

Ian
Well, maybe then I don't understand why I am supposed to pay VAT on parts that have been produced 60+ years ago, that are second hand, untested and on which taxes have been paid in the past.. ? But that's another thing, unrelated to UK / Brexit, I agree !

Still, I feel like since Brexit nothing sneaks pasts the customs, everything is being checked like crazy, and shipping time got a bit longer. Well..

her European storesWell, maybe then I don't understand why I am supposed to pay VAT on parts that have been produced 60+ years ago, that are second hand, untested and on which taxes have been paid in the past.. ? But that's another thing, unrelated to UK / Brexit, I agree !
Unfortunately, if the business is VAT registered it has to charge VAT on what it sells. I rememeber back in the 60s, before we joined the EU, you paid purchase tax on anything you bought. And it was 33%. I worked during the school holidays to save up enough to buy my first tape deck to which I later added my own valve electronics. It was a shock to discover that the £50 I expected to pay became £66 10s with the tax added.
Still, I feel like since Brexit nothing sneaks pasts the customs, everything is being checked like crazy, and shipping time got a bit longer. Well..
Nothing like that happens in the UK. I have received stuff from Schaeffer, Thomann, Reisler and other European stores as normal without extra taxes or duties. Maybe it is the EU still punishing the UK for having the effrontery to leave.

Cheers

Ian

There is some major misunderstanding of VAT in this thread. The conspiracy stuff, well...

- VAT is paid on goods *and* services (like shipping)

- If second hand goods are bought and sold by a VAT registered business, VAT is charged on them.

- The VAT threshold for bringing goods into the EU has recently gone down to zero from 22 EUR (end of Small Consignment Relief). ALL imports are now subject to VAT on import, irrespective of their value.

There is a lot of reliable info online about all of this. It's better to find authoritative sources when possible because what people post on forums etc is often (normally?!) nonsense.

Back