"Ultimate" Multipattern Tube Mic Build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDewd

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for years, and I have now decided to come out from the shadows. Before I ask my questions, I will provide just a bit of background about myself.  I am just a small home studio engineer and musician, living and working in Manhattan, KS. While I am a professor at Kansas State during the day, I love gear. I love fixing it, modding it, selling it, buying it, and most of all using it. If you need any Child Development advice, ask away! I have a B.S. in Psychology from Indiana University, Bloomington and an M.S. and a Ph.D. from Virginia Tech in Human Development.

However, I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to electrical engineering. While I can barely muddle through a schematic, I don't really know how to properly use my multimeter to troubleshoot electronic circuits. I have modded several mics, including capsule swaps, cap removal and replacement, and have completely built an Apex 460 using the microphone-parts Fox 460 kit. What I'd like now is to build the very best multipattern tube mic I can.  So I have several questions:

1) Tim Campbell seems to make the best capsules this side of Germany. Are there any others I should consider?
2) I have an Apex 460 that I LOVE, but what are opinions about which model to build next? I mainly record stringed instruments and mostly male vocals.  I have no shortage of good mics (e.g. Schoeps, Vintage AKG, Advanced Audio, Royer), but I want to really create a no holds barred, top notch quality, no compromises tube mic.
3) Is there such a mic that has been built by many others who could provide me with the PCB and BOM?
4) Any other advice or critiques?

I would also like to make this mic so I could eventually drop in a vintage C12 capsule, which I know is not cheap!

Thanks in advance for the help.

The Dewd

Take a look at http://store.studio939.com Matador C12. I'm currently building a matched pair and I'm sparing no expense on caps, tubes and a Tim Campbell CT-12 capsule.  I ordered the PCB, parts kit and alctron ht-11 with the c12 open style head basket. Capsule, tubes, 0.5uf capacitor and AMI T14 are ordered separately. There is also an Elam 251 version.

If you like the design, if it's something which gives you  fun, then why not?
Anyway C12 circuit is possible to build with original apex/alctron PCB :)

Latest posts

Back