Univeral Audio 2192......First Impressions!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cletus monroe

I just got me a 2192 and wanted to share my 6 hrs. of A/B experience with it. Before deciding to purchase, I did a little internet searching. I researched and have used many of the usual suspects (Apogee, Mytek, Benchmark, Prizm). I went with the 2192 for a variety of reasons. The analog front end and design philosphy was appealing. I also felt like, unlike Apogee whose users and company seems to say with each new product, "better than that old stuff!", that the 2192 would with its 192K sampling rate, have a longer life span. Poop, with it's class A circuitry and my feelings on audio above 96k, this thing could age like a gibson. Nah, they're probably already designing thte next version. But I lament. Although I came up with a few helpful posts about the 2192, thanks gearslutz members, the pool was a little slim. So I go swimming

Business:

I hooked the 2192 up from my 002r via spdif in and out. My 002 main outs were sent to my Mackie Big Knob (DAW MIX). The analog outs from the 2192 were also sent to the big knob (2-Track A). NS-10's, KRK V6's and MCS 8320's were used for monitoring. Commercial CD audio tracks ranging in the style of Speed Metal to R&B were imported into Pro Tools and used as reference material.

Right off the bat, the 2192 analog outs are louder than the 002r's analog outs. How much? It ain't that type of party yet. I'm still gatewayin' this thing. But the 2192 was more than a few dB louder. Both are factory +4dbu. Upon noticing the obvious, I decided tests should be done with the 002r's and 2192's outs at the same volume. A little adjusting later at the big knob and the volumes seem the same so now the testing continues.

With the 002r clocked internally and running out its own 1/2 main outs VS. the 002r clocked to the 2192 receiving a Spdif feed andrunning out its main analog outs, the difference is much more drastic.

The stereo image of the mix seems to spread with the 2192. The transiets seem sharper. The high end is definitely clearer. Everything is clearer or less blurry to use a visual analogy.

When the 002r is clocked to the 2192, the difference is less drastic. The 002r's, and I believe to its credit, d/a converters don't sound to shabby against the 2192's d/a converters. There's a difference, but I had to go back and forth more often to really say I could hear it. Same stuff, more pleasing stereo image and high end, but it wasn't anything I would stand up and say, "Can't you hear that?".

What I noticed the most was the clock. When the clock is set externally to the 2192, the difference between it and the 002 is there, but not smacking you in the ears. When the clock is switched to the 002's internal and out its outputs VS. external and out the 2192's outputs, the difference is kind of dramatic.

I have to say that after hearing it back and forth, forth and back, it is a definite improvement in the overall sound of my setup. How much? I could return this and I ain't. We all strive to improve our recordings, it's why we spend Saturdays soldering. For those of you who got into this audio thing when Pro Tools was still in its infancy, remember the first time you put a Waves L1,L2,Sony infiltrator, etc... on your mix and was like, "This is cheating but I'm never letting a client leave with a ruff mix without this sh#%!". This ain't like that. If you've got an 002, clocking to this unit will definitely improve your overall audio quality. I will say this though, for those of you that ain't got the bread to spend on this unit, or any external clock for that matter, that's cool 'cause it still sounded good without it. Meaning, you don't need air jordans to play b-ball, and you don't need this to make a rockin' record.
But, I gotta admit it does sound "better"! Just wanted to share.
Take care,
Cletus

thats great but gear reviews dont really belong here. this is a forum about building stuff. maybe in 'the brewery.' or on tape op.

the review is well done, nothing against it or you.

solder city, how big a salami can you shove up.......never mind.
(settle down cj, thats exactly the response he was looking for in order to pacify the empty void inside)

I mean, if you need something to do, I have some resistors that need sorting.

Do you read color codes?

Craig:
I haven't had a chance to track anything through the A/D's yet. I've only
been A/Bing the clock and D/A's so far. I can't say for certain, but after building a G9, 2 1176's and coming around the mountain on a 4xGreen Pre, I have learned that quality design and components just plain costs more. So being that this is Class A, I can't wait to start A/Bing the A/D's! I'll repost when I do.

solder-city:

I'm very aware of where I posted this information. I also understand that
if you are anything like me you might be a bit of a diy junkie. We're here ain't we! I love this site and specifically this particular forum and the people on it. Just like my learning to build equipment is because of my love for audio, so is my toiling and finally purchasing of a $2800 2 channel converter. We build this stuff so the music sounds better. I bought this so the music would sound better. I posted here specifically to be of help to any of mi amigos that cared to read. With the "home studio" tests I did and my experience in recording...well, I just wanted to let y'all know my thoughts on this unit that, in my eyes, is of a design philoshphy and sound that perfectly suits this forum. No hard feelings and your post was very gentlemanly, but still a bit rude in its existence. Did I post some "I can't hear my Midi" stuff. No, another engineer with 10 yrs experience just gave you his thoughts post testing on arguably one of the best A/D D/A converters on the market made by a company who many of us have cloned units from.

CJ:

Being that your picture is Lemmy and I often break into "Ace of Spades", I can't help but feel like he defended me "big brother" style.
It made me smile.

Take care,
Cletus

hey Cletus,
Congrats on your 2192 ! After researching lots, I too decided on the UA . I would suggest the 2192 to anyone wanting to mix in the box. I often wonder if I had not sold my u87 to buy an MCI 416 ,and instead tracked with good ol' DIY analog gear, then mixed in the box through the 2192 ? But I also have an m56 16 track that I'm trying revive and I'll need the console for it.

I'm planning on buying the aurora16 to go along with my two 2192's ,
but I don't expect it to sound as sweet . If I could afford eight 2192's that is what I would do. That being said ,I've heard that if you want a super clear kinda thing , but fat too , then the latest apogee or radar is it.

cheers,
Lance

Reading this thread.... i was getting confused what website I was browsinng ....

CJ you think you have resistors to sort....

I have 27lbs for carbon resistors to sort...

Wow! Those 2 watt comps are bucks!
Save those!

That was our punishment in high school. Constructive punishment cause the teacher was smart.
Great way to ingrain the colors in your head.
I still remember the 1000 or so metal base sylnvania 6SN7's that were laying along the back counter in boxes.
We hated those cause we was fender, and fender is 12AX7.

6SN7? Yuk!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
But that happens all the time.

As far as the UA spamming, don't we owe it to them for all the stuff we bootlegged?
Sheesh, there must be 1000 DIY LA2's out there already.
Thats a million bucks!
:thumb:

SOlder City, you can come out of your room now.
Your not grounded anymore. :grin:
But you need to switch to lead free ya freak!

That NY Dave posted and didn't crucify is why I testify!

It's as if the christian right has spoken. The funniest part of the "dungeon master", or "cop" style replies to my post is the fact that those who feel it doesn't belong actually took the time to read it. When I see "Yamaha PM-1sumthin' ", I don't read it. Nothing against the board, but I'm not interested.
When I see "Pics of Fatso Jr. inards", I do. And I save them to ye ol' desktop. When I turn the channel to something I don't like I keep going.

We use gear. We build gear. This site is about gear. Or the creation and building thereof. Yes there are internet moles that work for companies and hype their gear as consumers on sites like our own. But that is not me. I'm an end user who makes his sole living off of audio related endeavors. Getting into this before analog was a gladiator tale told to young ones, I know the difference. Just like many of you, have heard the diffence between reality and the matrix. 1's and 0's are exciting and everything, but I want a marriage with romance. Straight digital audio seems to only bring me plastic flowers.

As someone who who works in the audio field, I more often than not use computers for recording. Budget restraints, the proliferation of home recording and basically captialism has made analog recording for those that care. You got the budget, let's go to tape. You don't, let's make music! I often track out of my home for purely money reasons. If I'm tracking vocals, I can make twice as much at my home studio sans outside fees. I'm now preaching to the choir.

My point? I wouldn't like it if this site turned into gearslutz either. They got that covered, love 'em. This site is not for that. I get it. Always have, always will. But my compadres, I tested out a new product that we digital slaves all need some form of. How many of you are tracking and mixing solely from analog? I hope a lot, but I reckon a lot of us are also using computers. I honestly can't afford to mix most my records in the analog domain. The studios that have the gear got to pay for it. So hi digital. Excuse me, what planet are you from? I guess we got to get along? I buy gear all the time and have no inclination to post, "Hey I got a Mackie Big Poop Knob for my home studio and it's really embarassing on a snob tip but fine and useful! What do you guys think". How many that posted, "This doesn't belong here.", have built a Jakob Earland reverse engineered (round of applause for our man) 1176 clone? I've built two and would sleep with them if the metal didn't give me a rash! That's a Universal Audio clone. This is a Universal Audio product. How long did it take for people to crown the DBX 160 VU's, Pultec's, H-3000's, Studer A-800's, so on and so forth? It took use and word of mouth. The 2192 is a new product that in caveman terms, "Makes Bigger. AHHHHH. Bigger!". Again, a new product. Not from the old. I researched the heck out this bad boy and came up with, "It's excellent". I hooked it up and wow! More depth. Good for rock, but I think the apogee is better for Hip Hop.". Hmm...anything to do with the way they look? Anyway, I posted because I A/B'd them in my imperfect settings and wanted to share the experience as an engineer with those that I share my experience with as an engineer online. My experience listing as I did the various scenarios of clock and conversion. If you record to digital, build clones, rack old gear, are savy enough to design circuits, think about analog summing and are audio obsessive like myself, then you should care about your A/D, D/A and audio clock. I do and bought one from a company who make some pretty nice gear. It impoved my overall audio quality and because I figured many of you, who I share so much in audio common with, are probably running towards the same mirage, I wanted to let you know there's proverbial water over here. Or at least, I'm drinkin' it.

To stop metaphoring and get blunt, I have respect for everyone on this site and exhibit that in past post behavior. I'm also to busy to read a post on a site I check at least once a day, and then be of the frame of mind to think that it's my duty to let that person, a peer, know, "I don't think this belongs here.". Are you kidding me? Go record something. Or y'all go join a team. Some of you can become cops, the others school crossing guards. Maybe some of you can fulfill your lifelong goal of becoming a judge. Then you can really control things. Make everything "your way".
Wait, you're all engineers, musicians, etc...!

Y'all see the paper today about this man in Baghdad who might possibly be excecuted by the courts for converting to Christianiy from Islam. I ain't that dramatic to make a comparison. But seriously, guys, stop being asses. Don't like, don't read. And that's said with, just as you should feel the same, me feeling like I have every intellectual right to post my thoughts.

How about we divert our attention to those bad, bad men selling Gyfaf clones on Ebay with 4-6 weeks shipping time. 1,2,3 POST!

Love you all but got a big fat engineer's opinion to,
Cletus

Latest posts

Back