Universal Audio 1176LN Limiting Amplifier (Updated Pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to make a little chart showing the point when JBL took over, cut corners where ever they could and drove the company into the ground. Someone should let UA know it isnt a race to repeat history.

Sadly, I think we are the only fucking people wise to this, the rest of the world is going WHOAH, COOL! An 1176 and a 610 in the same box! BIIIITCHEN DUDE, IT DOES ALL BUTTONS IN!

ugh

dave

Re-issue has always really meant :
take a classic, cheapen it up , make it cosmetically the same , and try to put one over on the people.

I remember when Fender came out with the Blues DeVille and everyone on the block went out and bought one, because it was so cool that CBS Fender had finally gotten their shit togeather. Then, one by one, people began to notice that "hey, this thing looks awesome, but the tone sure ain't the same as a 1964 Fender.
Thats when they found out that the tubes are cheap, the transformers are cheap, the old black rivet board is now a fiberglass pc board, the wood is plywood instead of pine, the voltages are off, the speaker sucks, all the little details have been left out and the amp sucks.

Same thing with UA it appears.
I am in the middle of unwinding the black UTC antique HA 100-X and tghere are wires going everywhere. And this is just an input x-former folks!
I had to take a break because it is so confusing.
The LA2a I saw at guitar center was missing the knobs, i guess they fell off. It wasn't in a position where you could plug in and listen to it, and it had a 3000 dollar list price. Who would buy somewthing that they can't even try and has knobs missing?
I think UA is heading into software more and more, and they don't really give a crap about anything but money.
cj

LOL, good one Steve!!!!
Actually what really pissed me off was that I couldn't get to the back to rip the T4!

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :grin:

I guess I should tell you guys how I acquired this piece, and my future plans with it. I went to Guitar Center one day to get some strings for my bass, and I just so happened to wonder into the "pro audio" room. I was just looking around and was approached my Mr. Salesman. We talked about mics and recorders (he gave me a funny look when I told him I still recorded analog). Then we talked a little bit about dynamics and I noticed they had that UA1176LN sitting in a rack. So he asked me if I heard those and I said no but that I will be starting an 1176 clone soon... he looked at me funny again.

Up to his point, I've had no experience with the 1176, so I figured what the hell, I have good credit. So I bought the thing and have been playing with in my studio the past couple weeks. Mr. Salesman said I have 30 days to return (which I am) so I'll take it back in a day or two.

There you go...

UA=Universal Necrophilia... douchebags :roll:

Thanx for the info John. As always :thumb:

Maybe in a generation we'll see the sons of the sons of ol' Bill doing those replicas of the year 2000 vintage 1176s as well.. :green:

I don't think there's a true bypass on the UA1176LN. Regarding the meter, there's the GR, the +8, and +4, which I understand. Then there's on OFF button that I assumed was a bypass, but when I pressed it the unit stopped passing signal.

I'm not familiar with the different revs of the 1176, but is this common?

The off button is the power down button. Bypass is achieved by turning the attack control fully anticlockwise (it is a switched pot0

The above is the case on my revision H.

Like you say I don`t think its a true bypass. The unit just does`nt compress.

...the "off" button is a power off button, the 'GR off" position (on the 'attack' control) is a 'disable compression' position, but the signal at all times passes through the same amount of 1176 circuitry.

keith

Back