Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Chunger is not responding, I have contacted ShuaiYin regarding the SYT-5.

I do believe there is a minimum quantity of 50 to order, unlike the posts indicated from the group-buy thread from 2016:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=63542.0

I'd rather order from Chunger, as he supplies the switches (which can also be gotten from Poctop/vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com), the shockmount, and XLR. He also has transformers and other helpful parts, so it is more convenient to order it all from one place.

Still, I realize people need these parts to get their builds going. If you want to do a group buy on the SYT-5 plus SYZ-3 mounts, let me know.

I will wait for Chunger.  It may take time, but he always comes through.  Any group buy is likely to have to deal with the same delivery problems that everyone else is dealing with this year.  It is not just Chunger having supplier issues.

I understand what you mean, but Jenny at ShuaiYin did not say there was any issue with making an order, shipping, etc. She just asked about details for what I wish to order.

Yes, I've ordered from China before, during, and after March of this year. Yes, there were delays but I received everything.

So the question is if Chunger is OK, too busy with day job, etc. Any of these will necessitate finding an alternate way - Plan B.

multmin said:
So the question is if Chunger is OK, too busy with day job, etc. Any of these will necessitate finding an alternate way - Plan B.

This is what I'm thinking.  I'd like to at least know if Chunger is ok or not.  If a plan B does become necessary then I would be interested.  I've had all my other parts ready to go for almost a year so I can't just give up now.

I totally understand. I want to make a large order with Chunger for SYT-5, power supplies, PSU upgrade PCB, etc.

Many of the mics' PCBs, switches, and polystyrene can be had from Dany (poctop). I held off on ordering the switches, as Chunger supplies those with the bodies.

Switch Part Numbers: it took me awhile to find these again, but as per:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48030.msg750971

...these are the suggested switch part numbers. If these are incorrect, please let me know!

Pattern (3-way): C&K T103MH9ABE
Pad and LC (2-way): C&K T101MH9ABE

On June 23, Chunger mentioned that SYT-5 kits would be ready, but that the switches were delayed.

I have not made any orders with ShuaiYin yet, as it sounded like Chunger has the bodies already. If we could get them without the switches, I can live with that.

This is why I was mentioning the part numbers on the switches. If only switches are holding up the SYT-5, we can get them other ways:

Poctop, Ebay auctions, and Mouser/Digikey/AlliedElec/Newark/Farnell.

My point here is nothing against Chunger, as he provides a great service. As I said, I would really like to get all of my material from him.

Has anyone here been in contact with him outside of here? Made orders from Studio939 lately?

The last update that I received from my factory contact in China was 2 weeks ago, and the status of the SYT-5 batch that was prepared for me some time ago was that upon personal inspection, he discovered pitting in the finish which required the batch to be sent back to plating. . which historically has been a problematic process if things do not go smoothly.

Problems with my current batch of SYYT-5 supply materialized or became known to me around the time my most recent shipment of re-supply parts were completed at the various factories and being consolidated in China for a combined ocean freight shipment.  At the time, my assumption was that the microphones had been completed (for a few months) and would be consolidated with the other items.  Claiming Covid related transport issues internal to China, my factory contact (for SYT-5 gen3 bodies) informed me that he would ship the microphones to me via alternate methods at his expense . . . which is unusual for such a large batch of parts.  Standard Fedex DHL or other carriers would be exorbitantly expensive but there was no real reason for concern at the time.  The initial information that I received was switches were missing as supply and production at the time to Taiwan were impacted.  Because I previously ordered a very large batch of switches separately, I told my factory contact that this is not a problem, and I can receive the bodies without switches as fast as possible. My preference was still to consolidate all of the various microphone bodies inside of China and then to ship to me via cargo freight.  Up to this point, my relationship with the factory contact was quite strong and responsive.  We had each gone out of our way to help each other out, make changes to designs, address quality concerns, make prototypes, etc.  Late July, communications became suddenly silent or slow.  My factory representative's father was hospitalized with a severe heart condition and he has been accompanying him there as well as taking care of family logistics.  From that point forward, communications have been extremely slow.

The pattern here is typical of how a Chinese factory "ghosts" someone in the middle of a product development cycle. . . except we are not doing that right now.  No additional changes were made in this production run of SYT-5 microphone bodies with the exception of my request to clean up the mesh cutting and internal soldering of the headbasket mesh assembly.  My interactions with this contact have been extremely good to this point, and we have been able to get things done and make adjustments and changes to microphones that other factories refused to do so I am still optimistic that in the end, things will turn around as I am still getting updates sporadically. 

If indeed, there was a plating issue discovered upon personal inspection of the microphone batch, re-plating historically has been one of the more difficult things to handle.  This delayed my recent CU-49 batch by a couple of months.  It has also delayed previous SYT-5 shipments significantly.  It has effected previous MK47 and HT-11A production runs as well, so every factory that I have purchased from at one point or another has been hit with this.  Again, assuming this is an actual plating problem, I am upset that it adds even further delays to an already excruciatingly long production cycle for the current batch of SYT-5 Gen 3 bodies, but having actually received batches of parts with serious plating problems, I would be thankful that someone on the factory floor in China discovered the problems there and is insisting that they be fixed prior to sending out the batch.  Either way, it is not ideal.

I have been pressing for updates daily regarding the SYT-5 bodies.  Payments in full for the production batch have already been completed.  I am hoping for the best, but there are serious logistical hurdles. 

Prior to this, I have been ordering maximum quantities from factories in order to try and establish a better working relationship with them, but I am moving towards making smaller and more frequent orders to avoid stocking so many parts.  The recent batch of HT-11A bodies that I just sold out of had so many units, it took more than 1.5 years to sell. 

I am coordinating another production run to re-supply primarily the HT-11A bodies that recently sold out but also MK47 bodies and shock mounts for all of the body styles.  I am hoping that the now very late SYT-5 Gen 3 bodies will be ready to consolidate for ocean freight in this next incoming shipment.

Please note also, in the latest import shipment of microphone bodies, we were hit with a steep 25% import duty from China/US trade tensions, but that is completely unrelated to the problems encountered in trying to get actual delivery of the SYT-5 Gen 3 bodies.

I wish that I had better news but this is the current update which is I am having a hard time getting updates at this time.

Chunger,

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I am glad to hear from you and trust that you're in good health! I believe that was one of our main concerns.

I thank you for the updates and wish you continued success in getting the products from the respective factories.

Are you OK to ship products you do have in stock at this time?

multmin said:
Chunger,

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I am glad to hear from you and trust that you're in good health! I believe that was one of our main concerns.

I thank you for the updates and wish you continued success in getting the products from the respective factories.

Are you OK to ship products you do have in stock at this time?

Yes, I have a backlog and am currently processing orders placed on September 25, but am making my way down the list.  All in-stock items are going out currently.  As for health and general life stability, I am doing fine!

I have been ordering small parts and capsules from ShuaiYin so that channel is still open.  I previously became frustrated with them because they flip-flopped a lot in regards to minimum order quantities, specific configuration, and actual willingness to sell product in the past.  But, if they are currently stating a 50 unit minimum order quantity (they had increased that number all the way up to 200 in my last SYT-5 dealings with them), I may be able to put in an order as a hold-over especially if they are in fact doing 50 unit minimums right now.

That being said, the budget YT-5 is surprisingly good for a cheap body and functional in practical applications.  I still have a reasonable amount in stock.

Great to hear you're doing alright!
I'm also so glad that you handle all these dealings with the manufacturers.  If I had to manage these logistics with spotty info from a factory half way around the world I'd go mad!  :D
Thanks for everything!  I'll just keep checking your site regularly and when they come back in you'll have 3 sold immediately.

I'm waiting for one, too.  I've got a Heiserman HK87 on order just for it.  In the mean time I already have 2 orders pending with Chunger.  I hope to have enough DIY to take me through the holidays.

Thanks for the update Chunger. I’m glad you are doing well. Thanks for all that you do.
Edit: Received mic parts, thanks!

Back