Unusual 2520 Sockets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

So I found a garage sale of electronic parts from a retired professor.  These old 2520 style sockets were there and I bought what was available.  I never saw these before and realize that the pin styling was used for other discrete opamps. 

I wonder about the history of the 2520 and the use of these pin out styles for use in science and research.  The opamps had names I had not heard of before but plan to go back and buy the 4 available.  This might be a bust but my Antique Museum hoarder just can't resist. 

The 2520 shown in the picture is one of mine.  One of the plans with the sockets is to build it into a box with a bread board.  I'll use it to test and play with circuits as well as test the amps I have acquired and others build from kits from CAPI

Attachments

• 2520 sockets - 1.jpg
    2520 sockets - 1.jpg
    243.8 KB
First of those sockets I've seen.

A standard instrumentation op amp pin layout that predates the 2520.  I've seen a lot of them.  Many have no response over 10kHz, even with normal amounts of feedback, and even less top response at high gains. 

looks like it would work for the Philbrick 4702 frequency to voltage converter maybe???

http://www.philbrickarchive.org/1982_Philbrick_4702-4704-4714.pdf

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

cool sockets...... plenty of usefulness I'm sure....

Teledyne was one of the brands.  Same + and - inputs and outputs  with V+ and V- and C for common and T for Trim  on the amps

Scott 2k ,  Its teledyne and here is the scoop on the amp from archives.

Attachments

• 1971-06_the_new_lightning_empiricist_teledyne-philbrick_16.jpg
    1971-06_the_new_lightning_empiricist_teledyne-philbrick_16.jpg
    244.4 KB
Here is a 1966 catalog clearly showing the 2520 style pin layout .  So API took the Layout to use for their opamp from Philbrick.

Attachments

• philbrick amplifiers.png
    philbrick amplifiers.png
    728.8 KB
Yes pretty wide range.  I'll pick one up and test it.  If its the one I think it has FET input and bandwidth to 1Mhz.  Might be cool for a DI input.  Lots of info on that site.

If you go into the way-back machine operational amplifiers were the heart of analog computers (before there were those pesky digital computers).

I doubt they ever expected these to be reduced to jelly bean cheap, silicon bits inside a plastic package.

JR

Analog computers ran with ropes and pulleys to do trajectory calculations for the navy in when the 30's 40's.  So they evolved to analog electronic circuits in 50's and refined with each decade. 

here is a math sheet from philbrick we all know the circuits from playing with electronics. 

Attachments

• an-7_opamp_applications.pdf
    817.9 KB
I just happened to be looking at Russian made bakelite tag strips and other bits and bobs lately ,very similar in colour and style to what you have there ,most likely they had their own equivalents . Could be what they are.

mjrippe said:
Philbrick, Analog Devices, etc. used that footprint for opamps before API did.  As Doug  mentioned, they were not optimized for audio.

I missed this post in my excitement.  You already answered the question on layout from Philbrick.

nielsk said:
Those would be very useful for breadboarding, where nothing ever fits the pin centers of the 2520 footprint...
These  sockets will help with breadboarding as you mentioned

Back