Urei 809 speaker filter refurbishing : old caps value

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

Just to keep you guys updated. I've recapped the crossovers, and reconed the speakers with a kit from Simply Speakers and i am SUPER HAPPY with the result. These speakers sound gorgeous. I know they are suppose to give their best when soffit mounted, but right now they are in my living room on IsoAcoustics stands, and I'm very happy with the sound. Can't wait to try them in a control room at some point one day.T

Thanks all for your input and help

planning to change the electrolytics in the filters

Are you sure the originals are electrolytics? The schematics indicate non-polarized capacitors. Using polarized electrolytics in a high level crossover circuit is eventually going to cause distortion because the AC will start to un-form the oxide layer (at which point the capacitor will become low impedance to all frequencies).

Are you sure the originals are electrolytics? The schematics indicate non-polarized capacitors. Using polarized electrolytics in a high level crossover circuit is eventually going to cause distortion because the AC will start to un-form the oxide layer (at which point the capacitor will become low impedance to all frequencies).
from prev page : "I just ordered Jantzen Audio film caps, except for the 68uF value I went with Mundorf bipolar. 50 euros worth for both speaker. It's a good start to see how they sound." so I went with film everywhere except 68uF bipolar

So yeah, not electrolytics I guess, I got mixed up :)

it exists bipolar electrolytics

from prev page : "I just ordered Jantzen Audio film caps, except for the 68uF value I went with Mundorf bipolar. 50 euros worth for both speaker. It's a good start to see how they sound." so I went with film everywhere except 68uF bipolar

So yeah, not electrolytics I guess, I got mixed up :)
Do you have an ordering list for the caps?
Will try to upgrade mine also.
thanks for the inspiration.

Sure, here's what I used :
JANTZEN AUDIO CROSS-CAP : 20 µF 400V, 3.9µF 400V , 6.8µF 400V
MUNDORF E-CAP : 68µF 100VDC 32VAC
I bought them all from Audiophonics.fr here in France, and it cost me €53,20 EUR for both speakers, including shipping to Paris, France.
The news caps are bigger, but there is enough room. I mounted one of them on the back of the PCB, but I cant remember which one, sorry.

I don't know what the speakers sound like in stock config, because mine were almost totally destroyed, but I am super pleased with the sound now, after the recap and rebuilding of the loudspeakers.

Hello
I have an audio lab since 80s' well know in Tuscany ( Italy)
When I have to recap x-over I use SCR MKP and Mundorf E-cap
You can found at TLHP : Boutique Haut-parleurs & Audio DIY ( low price and great choice, even the strangest values )
For resistors MOX 5 or MOX10 Mundorf (still at TLHP)
For coils I use Mundorf series L ( L100 for tweeter L125 for mid and L140 for woofer) at Banzaimusic.com ( lowest price)

Audiophonics is good for custom toroidal transformers ( good price )

Done! Sounds amazing,much clearer midrange less harsh frequencies.

thanks Tomas

Hello
I have an audio lab since 80s' well know in Tuscany ( Italy)
When I have to recap x-over I use SCR MKP and Mundorf E-cap
You can found at TLHP : Boutique Haut-parleurs & Audio DIY ( low price and great choice, even the strangest values )
For resistors MOX 5 or MOX10 Mundorf (still at TLHP)
For coils I use Mundorf series L ( L100 for tweeter L125 for mid and L140 for woofer) at Banzaimusic.com ( lowest price)

Audiophonics is good for custom toroidal transformers ( good price )

Thanks for the input, will check these options next time !
Done! Sounds amazing,much clearer midrange less harsh frequencies.

thanks Tomas
Thanks for the feedback, I am glad you are happy. Still in love with mine.
What do you power yours with ? Are they in a control room ?

Thinking about making the switch with my Tannoy 10" Gold monitors in the mixing room, and see how I work with them...

I power them with 2 Bryston PowerPac 120 monoblocks.
Yes in the control room mounted in the wall and then I have
a pair of ProAc Studio 100 and a pair of NS10.

Latest posts

Back