• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Urei LA-4 project (x2), chassis, pcbs, meters, iron, dual-conc. switches, etc.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rascalseven

For the person who really wants a pair of legit (-ish) blackface Urei LA-4’s here is just about everything you need:

(2) Luny Tunes LA-4 pcbs, populated
(2) Urei LA-4 chassis (actually Urei 532 chassis, but identical to LA-4)
(2) Urei model 12614 output transformers, original  (model used in LA-4)
(2) Hairball Urei-style VU meters with 12v lamps (these are ever so slightly different dimensions from original Urei meters, but they are extremely close and will definitely look the part)
(4) Urei dual-concentric rotary switch/potentiometer (2 needed per unit), original Urei replacement parts for LA-4
(2) complete sets of Urei LA-4 knob sets for dual concentric switches
(2) Urei 12261 power transformers, original (as used in LA-4)

This is my collection of parts to built a ‘legit’ (looking/behaving) pair of Urei LA-4’s for my studio.  I never got around to finishing these and have since closed down my studio and have scaled back to a much simpler home mixing rig, so I have no need of all of this anymore.

I also have an Illustrator file (see last pic for screenshot) I made for this project, that I will give to the buyer, so they can have a faceplate made for it.  I was going to laser engrave a Par-Metal 2ru blank in anodized black.  Be sure that you specify a blank rack panel, and not a ‘faceplate’ from one of their chassis, as the faceplate will have  chassis mounting holes already drilled that will not correspond to the holes needed to mount the Urei chassis to it.  These black anodized Par-Metal panels laser engrave perfectly to look like vividly white screening.  I was going to bolt the two chassis to the faceplate and even have very thin vertical lines engraved to simulate the appearance of two separate units and rack ears sandwiched together.  I know, I’m THAT obsessive.

Anyway, this is a kit prime for making blackface LA-4’s for your studio rack.  I doubt anyone would ever know that they aren’t real when using them.

The pcbs are from Luny Tunes’ LA-4 project from a few years back, and I have populated them already.  I used the dual vactrol he recommended.

The compete knob sets (for one LA-4) are going for $68 on ebay (both the dual-concentric knobs together), currently, and I don’t remember what I paid for the original switch/pot assemblies from JBL parts dept, but it wasn’t cheap.  The meters are $32 each and the transformers and chassis, hard to say what it would cost to source them.  I tore up a pair of non-functioning 532’s to get the chassis and I scoured the net for the original trafos. 

I’ve got a bit over $500 in all this stuff (not counting shipping costs or anything for labor).  I’ll sell it all (along with the Illustrator file) for $350.

Please PM me with any questions.  Thanks.

JC

Latest posts

Back