Useful video on acoustic measurement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was great ,
I was aware of the chirp signal ,but didnt realise the signifigance in relation to audio ,
Just as useful to the circuit designer as it is for speaker measurement .

Its probably worth watching again as he reccomends ,
I'm a fan of Audio Science Review , I tried signing up but not sure what happened in the end .

Have you tried to measure microphone distortion? I guess the distortion of the amplifier/speaker/reference mic needs to be canceled/substracted.
it goes over my head if it is really possible.
I deal with guitar amp modeling everyday, high gain. something that I noticed is that you can easily mix lack of harmonics with lack of high end.

Nope. As far as i know, capsule distortion is only calculated by big brands, i have never seen the measurement of a capsule distortion. One would need to generate distortion free sweep, or at least sinewave at desired frequency at quite high spl. Mic circuit thd is easy though.

As far as I remember, even big brands only report mic circuit THD in data sheets. There are possibilities to measure capsule distortion though; some are described in this dissertation (e.g. Fig. 15—unfortunately only in German), but mostly work just for pressure transducers. He also tried some active ‘harmonic canceling’ (like noise canceling) as in Fig. 22, but apparently wasn’t very successful for very high levels.

Back