UTC O-10 "Ouncer" confusion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbnb

Hi all,

Please excuse my noobness but just trying to get my head around this little transformer.

I recently inherited a few of these from a relative who passed away, and I was thinking it would be fun to make a simple Direct Box with the UTC O-10 ... however, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help with?

According to the terminal arrangements on the transformer, Primary is 6-8 and there are few choices for secondary.

I guess my questions would be:

1) For the signal coming from an instrument (bass guitar in this case), would the input go to pin 2 (if 200 ohms is wanted?)
2) For the outgoing signal to XLR, which of pins 6-8 would go to the XLR?
3) Since there isn't a ground listed on the outside of the transformer, is there a common pin that is used for ground?

Again, I am SO SORRY if this seems obvious to most, it's just confounding me at this point.

Here's a photo of the transformer, if that helps -

Attachments

• Ouncer10.jpg
    Ouncer10.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 3.21.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 3.21.32 AM.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 28
Sorta, but the opposite.
The bass is high Ohm, so you'd wanna use the primary side for that. (Bass signal tip to pin 6, ground/sleeve to pin 8.)
Mic pre is low ohm, so you'd connect pin 2 to xlr-3, and pin 4 to xlr-2. xlr-1 goes to ground.

Last edited:
I just checked mine, output 1,5 (unbalanced), input 6,8 (xlr).
30k:500
I've experimented with different ratios and didn't hear any difference other than level.
You are feeding a line level balanced signal, so you want to step it down for the unbalanced out

Attachments

• PXL_20211024_183121967.jpg
    PXL_20211024_183121967.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 27
Here's an old schematic by NYD. Like I said I think 30k:500 is fine, and I skip the pots.

Attachments

• NYD_ampinterface.jpg
    NYD_ampinterface.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks, dmp... this is super helpful. Definitely going to go with the 30k:500 now that you guys have mentioned it. That seems to make much more sense.

Cheers!

Whoops - I thought this was about a reamp. Now I see you want to do a DI, which is opposite. Earlier comments were right.

Latest posts

Back